Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thursday

Happy Tax Birthday to 1! 

I'm thinking that this may be a shot at her last TC marathon after the birth of 1.01.  And, of course, she's now in training for this year's TC event to prove that she still has it after bringing 1.02 into the family.  Hope you have had a good day, Kiddo.

A follow-up to the previous story on my new golf club, the Ping G20 driver.  A lesson in the disconnect of what you think that you say with what the other person hears.  The pro down at Geneva failed to interpret my instruction to "ring it up" and re-grip the club that I had demo'd as a purchase order.  When I came back from DM yesterday, I elected to stop off in Muskie and play a few holes with my pal Cal.  I even called the golf shop from Des Moines to let them know that I was stopping by and would be picking up my new club.

When I went through the golf shop, the assistant manning the desk handed me over a Ping G20 driver, re-gripped to my specs.  The only problem was that IT WAS THE WRONG CLUB!! I had specifically requested a driver with a 12 degree loft, and this one was 10 degrees.  Even club pro's should be able to tell the difference between a 10 degree and a 12 degree club, especially since the numbers are clearly displayed on the back of the club head.

Of course, there was no 12 degree club in inventory.  So when I talked to the pro today, after he hem and hawed his way around our previous conversation, the desired club was put on "special " order from the distributor.  Whatever.

4 had her first regular shift at her FOX News job last night.  She works Wednesday's through Sunday's, going in at 8 PM and getting done at 0600.  Her first report on Twitter today suggested that at the network, you don't monitor the police scanner like you do for local news.  Heck, in NYC, those police scanners must be buzzing constantly.  I can't imagine how they can respond to all the stuff that must go on in the metropolitan area.

The dominant story in the financial press this week has been the Initial Public Offering (IPO) of Facebook.  FB hit the street last week at $38.  In the first day of trading, it went as high as $45 (briefly), and then began to sell off.  Lead underwriter, JP Morgan stepped in and "stabilized the price that first day at $38, but then let the stock fall on Friday when the market seemed to turn against the issue.  The stock fell further through yesterday, but recovered today and closed at $33+.

Among the questions that will keep lawyers busy for years are: Why $38 to open?  Who had inside information on concerns about the price? Did FB itself contribute to the obfuscation? 

This really does raise memories of the dot-com bubble when the price of a security was secondary to possession of the security (read: CISCO).  I know that everybody wants to hit a home run, but that whole FB model leaves me wanting more for the financial growth of a company, not just the usage (See also: Twitter).

(Another factoid of almost no relevance:  IPO is a frequent NYT crossword solution to the clue: Wall Street issue.)

All for tonight.  My laptop is headed to the TC for remote use by @srh4 tomorrow, so I have had to make this entry from the office.  It is now time for a glass of vino.  Make it a good Friday.

SMALL ADDITION:  I tried to leave a few minutes ago, just as the power decided to go out in the building.  That set off a series of security alarms.  I called the security company with very mixed results.  The first kid didn't know how to re-set the system, and took my number with the advice that a tech-rep would call back.  Right.  In the meantime, the power came back on, and the sequence of arming/disarming of the system had left it armed, so when I stepped into the path of a sensor, the whole siren/speakers and collective racket went off.   I stepped outside awaiting the call back.

After 15 minutes of no action, I called the security company again.  This time, the gal didn't like my code number and wanted to pass me off to a supervisor.  I again gave my cell number and figured I'd be in for another wait. 

In the meantime, a tech-rep did call and we kinda stumbled our way through the dis-arm function and everything is back to normal.  I think the problem may be that this system is 20+ years old and the alert desk people have not been trained on it.  Heck, they probably were in diapers when this thing went in.  Even the tech-rep was guessing.  The security system is like a lot of things in my life, where old is the dominant characteristic.

Thanks for reading.

BCOT




No comments: