Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday

Just a couple of pics from Saturday in NYC.  I"ll add some commentary from ORD later today.

NOW LATER...BTW, that's 3's friend Amanda with us at the Diner where we had brunch.

So I am almost home.  Now waiting for my 1500 CST flight to MLI.  The trip from NYC was essentially painless.  No problems with the exit from the Vanderbilt Y.  Found a cab right away.  Little traffic to LGA.  No line at security.  I was in the last boarding group (since I failed to check-in on line yesterday), but my seat was there, and my seat-mate was a quiet lady with no issues.  We departed on time, had a strong tail-wind, and landed early.  May I have the same luck going to MLI.

The Twitter Universe is aware of our great weekend in The Big Apple.  Our meander around Manhattan yesterday was a real hoot.  We hit all the key parks (although we didn't get over to Central Park), the weather was Top Ten, and there was never a time when we were bored.  4's apartment is in a nice area, and is a comfortable set-up.  Here's a pic of the front of her building.  Her bedroom is the window on the third floor with the steel grating behind the stairs.

Dinner last night was a blast.  We ate in the outdoor garden area of an Italian place just down the street from 3 and Herky's apartment.  It wasn't a big menu, but we all had excellent meals.  The wine that we selected happened to be the same as the bottle that the guys in the wine shop near 4's couldn't find for our second round earlier in the afternoon.  Different year, but equally good.  Thanks to 3 and Herky for picking up the tab!  That's MPP and her friend Crystal to the right.  I thought we had one at the end of the evening that included me, but it must be on someone else's phone.  And I couldn't get 3's eyes right.  Sorry.

If my problems with Allegiant Air were the primary take-aways from last week's trip out West, the Vanderbilt Y is probably the big news maker from this weekend.  This was hostel living at best.  The room was spartan, and the bed was dorm-quality.  But the location was great, things were relatively quiet, and the clientele was a combination of college kids and budget travelers. There were both men and women on my floor. There were no families.  The community men's bathroom/showers area was clean and not crowded.  I wouldn't call it sketchy, but it is definitely a low rent experience.  It worked well for me.  Probably not a place I would send my daughters.  When I head back to NYC (which will be a while, I think), I might stay there again.

4's doing a super job of adapting to the big city.  She's got a good sense about getting around town, and what she needs to do over the next few months.  Wonderful news for her on her recent employment status.  Her regular shift starts Wednesday night.  After the job settles down, she'll need to find an apartment for August 1st as her current arrangement is just until then.  Be a star, Kiddo!

I'm going to grab some lunch before the flight to MLI.  May jump back on again later.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT

No comments: