Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wednesday

My RCL is out-sourcing her work for the next five weeks while she goes back to Russia to visit.  She says that her substitute, also Russian, is very good.  We'll see.  How difficult can it be to clean my place?

I bought my ticket earlier today for another visit to NYC...in May.  I had been keeping my eyes out for a seminar in the Big Apple that would fall into my technical needs at a good time.  With no other May travel scheduled, this program on the 17-18 in Manhattan on alternative investments came up a winner.  I'll go in to LGA on the evening of the 16th, have two days of sessions, and plenty of evening time (plus all of Saturday) for visiting.  Return on Sunday for a belated b'day party for 2!

Interesting dynamics on this ticket similar to the hassle we had on the Reno ticket last week.  When I checked fares yesterday, Delta had numerous options for the round trip from MLI for $285.  After confirming last night with 4 that she and Herky were definitely available for a visit that weekend, I jumped on the computer this AM to review my Delta options only to find that the $285 fare was only available for one LGA departure on Sunday...at oh-dark-hundred.  Funny how fares change, eh?

American Airlines had several options at the $285 price, so I booked the trip.

The NBA's latest phenom is a Chinese-American kid from California (and Harvard grad!) playing for the Knicks.  He won another game last night on a last-second trey.  You have to wonder if he's really that good, or if the other teams just still don't give him any respect.  He out-dueled Kobe last week.  The sports pages throughout the country are calling it "Linsanity".  Good for him.  I remain a non-fan of the NBA.

Augie is locked-in for the 4-team, end-of-season conference tourney.  They have two regular season league games yet to play, both on the road.  Win those two and at least one in the tourney, and I think they make the field in the D III tournament.  If their three seniors play like they can, another nice run to the Sweet Sixteen is possible.

USA Today had a story in the Business section talking about self-publishing books.  The technology has gone to the extent where these self-publisher's can adapt their books to Kindle's and the like.  And then they are able to market for small fees, that can add up.  Hmmm.  If I ever get over this life-long case of writer's block, I'll have to take a course at the community college to get the product of my imagination out into the cloud.  I'm already tired.

My Top Ten favorite desserts.  Not necessarily in order of importance.

1.  Warm apple pie with cinnamon ice cream.
2.  Almost anything strawberry...ice cream, short cake, etc.
3.  Cherry pie with vanilla ice cream.
4.  Oatmeal-raisin cookies.
5.  Peanut M&M's.
6.  Cherry cheese cake.
7.  Root beer float.
8.  Peach cobbler.
9.  Carrot cake...with nuts, cinnamon, etc.
10.  Home made ice cream on the farm.

Hope everyone can make it through the rest of the week.  I have The W beginning Friday afternoon.  I'll be training her for next year's Westminster Kennel Club show.

BCOT

1 comment:

camperkev said...

English 221 at Scott Community College is your local ticket to fame and fortune. They may even have an online offering through their consortium, but the website was less than user friendly.