Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Wednesday

The new Home Page pic was taken just outside of the house on Harvest Path in Woodbury last weekend.  The early morning frost was so thick, you could almost measure it with a ruler.  Each branch of each tree was fully encapsulated.  Here's a pic of the small tree in the parking by the street.  Very cool.

This exercise also proved that the desktop tower has a workable entry-slot for the camera memory card.  Very slick.

I received email today that Fuji Film is sending back my mini-digi...supposedly repaired.  I gotta believe that they'll just send a new unit.  I mean, it has to be more efficient to confirm that the old unit was defective, and reach over for a new one off the shelf.  They don't "repair" tail light assemblies in cars anymore do they?  And those things are way more expensive than that camera.  Stay tuned.

The airfare algorithms have caught 1 and 1.1 with a bad case of the "gotchas" for #07282012.  While the Quad Cities contingent has secured round-trip fares to RNO in the $440 range (from MLI), 1 has encountered $600+ for the MSP to RNO flight...that is our connecting flight from MLI!!!  Truly the kind of pricing that creates the bad name for the airlines.  Hopefully, there will be a better resolution in the near future to this disconnection.

I had lunch today with my pal Terry O and we decided that the grocery stores' pricing of fruit followed some of the same principles as in the air fare business.  I mean, one day the price per pound for a type of apple might be $.99, and the next day, it could be $1.99.  I know that there is a shelf-life that applies here, but as a knowledgeable fruit buyer, I can attest that the pricing tends to be random.  No algorithm required.

My plan is to head down to Geneva tonight for dinner.  There's a monthly minimum that members are supposed to spend in the dining room, and Wednesday evenings are usually well-attended.  Maybe see my pal Cal as well.

I used to have a daughter named 4.  Is she still around here?

BCOT

1 comment:

camperkev said...

I find Fuji apples to the biggest swing in the fruit commodity market. Two weeks ago, .89 cents p/lb, last week $1.89 p/lb. I'm going to guess that they will peak at $1.99 /lb this week when I go to the store. I despise settling for gala's.