Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sunday...UPDATED

I've put my new flag pole up as the Home Page pic for a couple of days to recognize Old Glory's new spot on Maplecrest.  Thanks go to my Perfect Neighbor Jim for basically doing all the work.

The Winniferous and I have made it through another weekend together.  We've kind of figured a rhythm to living together for these short periods.  She knows that she gets 2-3 "hunts" per day...and lots of treats/snacks.  But when I'm out of the house, she's still a kitchen-only puppy.  Best adjective for her?  Needy!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that I have been victimized by a minor burglary in the Buick.  The car charger to my new iPhone, and the midi-digi camera have both vanished.  The charger just never leaves the Buick, and it's not the kind of thing that just falls out of the car or between the seats.  The camera is stored in my murse, which I had in the car most of the week.  To "lose" both items at the same time is too unusual to be a coincidence.  I'm giving it a couple more days for the items to turn up, before calling it theft.  Bummer.

As reported on Twitter, Margret is now in the garage on Century Heights Avenue.  It was a nice enough day, and I hadn't had her out for a month or more, so I did a little ride in the country to "blow out her pipes" before putting her in hibernation.  Her next appearance in the elements will likely be close to April 1st in 2012.

It's another pleasant day here.  Mid 40's at least.  Lots of golfers on the courses near me.  I'm actually going to fire up my lawn mower and collect the leaves this afternoon.  Running a lawn mower in mid-December seems a little unusual.  Global warming, for sure, Al.

The local paper had major coverage on the reactions to the Stephen Bloom article today.  http://qctimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/in-defense-of-skuzzy-iowa/article_11d46296-2866-11e1-84d7-0019bb2963f4.htmlAs could be expected, there was near-universal disdain for the slant that Bloom gave to virtually every segment of Iowa culture.  Makes you wonder if The Atlantic was just looking for readership.  My guess is that the editors figured that a nice hit-piece on the state could get a visceral reaction and plenty of splash in the extended media, in a news cycle that now has the Iowa caucuses at front and center stage.  Bloom just comes off as a high-brow academic.

If you didn't notice, bowl-season started yesterday.  Hmmm.  Sorry I missed those crucial games.

I hope to get back on here later after my yard work and the next hunt with The W. 

UPDATE...Really not much to add here.  I enjoyed The W's visit, but I was glad for her to return to Highland Avenue.  I ache as though I was still in Turkey Trot training.  She should sleep well for 2 tonight. 

Sounds like the trip to C-town was a success.  I'll be anxious to hear details from the Continent as well.

I don't know the Commenter from IC.  There must be a search program out there that just looks for words or phrases and this guy was spending some time looking around on the Bloom article.  Maybe the engine picked up the link to the local paper that I included above.  Interesting.

My friend Pete is Pal of the Day.  He played Santa earlier this week and delivered a case of top-shelf Louis Martini Cabernet Savignon for all of us to share.  Suite.  You 'da man, friend.

Hope the peanut Gallery has a good week.

BCOT

2 comments:

Talking With said...

Here’s our show about Bloom’s article:

“Yale talks with four native Iowans about the depiction of them and the state they call home in Stephen Bloom’s scathing and controversial article in The Atlantic Monthly, his motives for publishing it, the response its generated across the state, and its national implications with regards to Iowa’s first in the nation voting status.”

http://patv.tv/blog/2011/12/18/talking-with-stephen-blooms-observations-oniowa/

Anonymous said...

Would your neighbor consider moving to the house for sale next to me? He would never need to think very long about odd jobs that I need to get done?

Tahoe Phil