Saturday, December 03, 2011

Saturday

Well, my computer situation hasn't improved much.  My desktop tower still hasn't been exchanged for the new unit, but that hasn't stopped the updated Windows package now on the server from screwing-up my office email.  We spent most of Friday afternoon trying to isolate the bugs, but I still have a recurring error when more than a couple of inbound messages get in the cue.

And the laptop?  Well, I'm basically without a laptop for the weekend.  The IT folks had another breakdown in communication, and when the tech handed me the "new" laptop late yesterday afternoon, he was completely in the dark when I asked about the Verizon "anywhere" card that needed transfer/activation.  I was a bit miffed.  I left while he was trying to call Verizon to determine the protocol.  When I came in today, no Verizon capability on the laptop.  Suite.  And the laptop couldn't even pick up the wireless network in the office.  No Starbuck's for you this weekend, LtPC!

My pal Bill has a new granddaughter, born early yesterday.  By C-section.  Sounds like mother and daughter are just fine.  Congrats, buddy.

I reported this on Twitter last night.  I have purchased my last couple of cases of wine at the Hy Vee store on 53rd Street.  Like most places, they have a 10% discount automatically applied to case purchases.  But at each of these last two times, my mental calculations had suggested that I might have only been getting 5% off on the purchase.  I took both receipt tapes in last night to show the manager, and he was really flummoxed.

Turns out that the computer wasn't recognizing an Italian red (that had two or three bottles in each of these cases), as wine, I guess.  Because the computer was giving me 5% on like 10 bottles.  Pretty odd.  But it goes to show ya', the computer ain't always correct.

(I had actually gone in to the store to pick up a bottle of Jack London to take over to a party, and when the manager was really struggling with the math, I told him that the Jack London would be pretty close to even-ing things up.  Especially since, when I bought that last case, he had only one bottle of the Jack London available.  And I had had him actually physically check his back-room inventory for more of it.  So a really good manager should really have given me the 10% discount on the single bottle last night.  Which absolutely would have made it a pennies-difference deal.  He didn't bite, and I had to pay a couple of bucks for the bottle.)

So I need to get going to Gold's.  Given my lack of computer access, I won't be back on here until tomorrow.

Make it a safe Saturday night. 

BCOT

No comments: