Friday, December 02, 2011

Friday

The Over bet on the computer conversion didn't pay.  As a matter of fact, the conversion hardly got off the ground.  There had been a mis-communication within the IT vendor and the installer guy had the preliminary set-up on my new machine wrong.  So I was basically off my desktop for the day, and then when he initiated the change in the afternoon he also kicked me off of my email-to-phone service.  Not-so-suite.

One of the by-products of the computer kerfuffle was that my business-meeting-guy had left a message on my desk-top that he was going to be a no-show for dinner.  Which I didn't find out about until my second glass of wine.  Welcome to our new technology.

Bank of America managed to frost my cookies yesterday.  I had called two weeks ago to arrange an early pay-off on a mortgage loan, and the service agent at that time apparently dropped the ball.  The end of the month payment then didn't get fully allocated to principal (the system automatically sent $200 to the tax/insurance escrow), so when I checked to confirm the pay-off, there was still a $200 balance due.

So I called the Customer Service number.  After fighting my way through the voice-mail system, I railed on the new service agent about the problem.  She confirmed that there was a record of my call on the 16th, but no action was indicated.  To complete the loan pay-off with the excess in the escrow account would require a letter of direction...and further delay.  And there was a $30 closing fee and a $7 recording fee...And I went ballistic!

Long story short; those fees disappeared, and I had a same-day transfer payment made from my checking account for the new exact amount of the pay-off.  (The bloated escrow would then just be paid to me.)  The great news?  Wells Fargo charged me $14.95 for a same-day transfer!  Better news?  The mortgage account still has a $200 principal balance today after the payment!  I love this country!

The Business Ethics seminar in IC yesterday was a crock.  All of my professional designations now require different minimums of annual CPE in ethics as part of the total CPE requirements.  The licensing organizations are all Madoff-sensitive.  Whatever.  The guy doing this program was a CPA from Wisconsin who had a sports background, and he used way too many examples of poor ethical conduct from various college and pro sports.  Like ethical lapses are rare in college football, eh?

The program was at the former Highlander Inn on the East side of IC.  It's a Clarion Inn now.  The Highlander was at one time THE hotel in IC.  I'm thinking that one of the last times I was there was the night that nephew/cousin Matt stayed there with the U of A basketball team when they were in town for a game with the Hawks.  Prior to that, I think I may have stayed there a few times in the late "70's when I was on campus to help with AA & Co recruiting.  There may have been some Beefeater gin involved.

Hope everyone has a good TGIF.

BCOT

2 comments:

camperkev said...

The upside is that you paid off the mortgage, congrats! I hope to one day in my life be able to do that.

johnseomaven said...

Professional ethics courses play a significant role in Accounting education and other major sectors as well. Accounting ethics course is designed not only for CPAs but also for other professionals so they will learn different standard business practices and professional conduct. If you are a CPA, whether you are from Texas, New York, Florida and other states, you are required to complete an ethics course. Thanks to online providers who offer approved-courses in different states. For example, you are working in Texas but having a vacation in other states, you won't need to travel back just to enroll to a local school. What you only need is a computer and internet connection, and take your Texas Online Ethics CPE while seating back at your couch.