Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thursday

Well, the IRS has come and gone.  But she will be back.  Which was to be expected for the complicated return that is being audited.  More on this at another time.

My therapy after meeting with the agent all day yesterday was to get out on the bike for an hour or so right around five o'clock in the afternoon.  I figured that even though it was a little chilly, I could layer-up and stay warm enough.  The thing I didn't figure on was rain.  Which started about midway through the ride.  Not a down-pour, but steady, and by the time I got home, my fingers and toes were frozen like ice cycles.  At least it got the IRS off my mind for a while.

Another motivation for me to get out on the bike was the string of "blank" days on my downstairs calendar.  I hadn't done spin, a Winnie run, or any other work-out since my visit to Gold's in Woodbury on Saturday.  I could of, should of gone to early spin on Monday, but I had a case of Spin-Nazi-itis.  And on Wednesday AM, I had to go in to the office early to prep for Ms. IRS.  Those "blanks" on my calendar stare at me for the entire month.  I'm a bit schizoid in that respect.

I don't know if I gave acknowledgement here to the ultimate success last weekend of the St. Thomas Tommie basketball team that ran the table and captured the D III basketball championship in Salem, Virginia.  Here's a link to the story from the school's website for anyone so interested.  http://www.tommiesports.com/mbb/news/Woo-3-19.html  This is the second time since I have been following Augie in recent years that they have fallen in an earlier round of the tournament to the eventual national champion.  (Washington University of St. Louis was the other team.)

This is not news to anyone, but kind of a sad fact of current life.  I forgot to pack my phone when I went out for that ride last night, and as I went through the mental gymnastics of an emergency procedure, it occurred to me that I had immediate recall of about four phone numbers, none of which would do me any good if I had to give an EMT the number of my next of kin.  Virtually all of the numbers that I regularly call are stored in the phone, and the protocol is to simply find and click.  Hmmmm.

My personal, unscientific, limited-scope opinion is that there is inflation in the grocery store.  I don't buy that many food-stuff  items, but I have noticed a distinct upward trend in the prices for several of those items.  The most glaring example is the Wednesday lunch "special" price for the all-you-can-eat salad bar at the Eastern Avenue Hy Vee. (Hey, you doubters...it's a good salad bar, and has lots of fresh fruit, including excellent grapefruit. 

Anyway, everyday but Wednesday the price is $6.99.  On Wednesday's, it had been $5.00 for as long as I can remember.  I was a Wednesday "regular", fo' sure.  Two weeks ago, the Wednesday price went to $6.00.  Still less than the normal price, but a 20% increase to what I had grown used to as the normal cost.  In my life, that's inflation.

Off to the rack.  Have a good Friday.  Thanks for reading.

***Late Addition:  Props to nephew/cousin Tucson Matt for U of A's victory tonight over Duke.  I assume that he's there on the radio call for the Wildcat Network.  Suite stuff for the extended fam.***

BCOT

No comments: