Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Tuesday

I'm adding a mid-day entry to catch up just a little from last night's aborted attempt to connect to the Internet.  I had one of those "Run this Anti-Virus Software" viruses pop up and I couldn't get it contained.  I figured that the IT guy would have to scrub my machine today, but when I fired up the laptop this morning, no virus.

I had actually run two separate anti-malware programs last night after encountering the pop up, and neither found anything.  So the pop up, that said I had 17  problems, was likely the only problem on the machine.  The next time the IT guy is in, we'll do another full body scan just to be safe.

Regarding the "tool" man from spin class, No, I haven't seen him in a helmet in class, but he does regularly show up in his full, skintight, racing uniform.  Very sexy. 

(Keep in mind that this is the same guy who filled the role of  an anti-wingman on a Friday (go home day) of RAGBRAI several years ago.  He had arranged for a couple of low-level employees to do a daily leap-frog with his Suburban to have transportation at each over-night town.  Pete and I had signed on to use his vehicle as a carrier for our camping stuff, and for the ride back to the QCA.  For a fee, of course.  He is a tool.  When we didn't get to the final destination town on time that afternoon, in a 115 degree heat index swelter, he just took off for home, Pete and PC be damned. 

The story is a little longer than merited for this entry.  There was some late-nighting by P&P, some adult beverages, some hills, head winds and a few other factoids.  But the bottom line was that tool-head booked with the boys unaccounted for.  Not a bro-list enhancer among bro's.)

As for Erin on Dancing, I'm mildly curious, but the cost to watch the program and put up with the other fools may be too much of a price to pay.  She does have cheerleading in her resume.  Or was it the Pom-Pom Squad?  I wonder how long it will take for one of her dips showing a little cleavage to hit the Net?

I'm meeting my pal Cal for an evening session with a prospective manager of the country club that Cal and Roy own over on the Illinois side.  The boys have proved the last couple of years that absentee-ownership/management yields significant write-offs.  Not in a good sense. 

I should get back in time to add more here later.  Assuming that the virus is gone.

LATER:  Back from an evening on the road.  Wine with Cal.

Does anyone actually believe that the Postal Service could ever be profitable?  Say, with two days of delivery? Are the carriers unionized?  I'm wondering what would happen if the USPS just went away?  How long would it take for private enterprise to assume the vacuum?  At what price to the consumer?  I'm thinking that we would all survive. 

Further, who came up with the concept that the proper number of hot dogs in a package was eight?  And did the bakeries just go along?  And the twelve ounce soda?  The 24 can case of beer?  The 12 bottles case of wine?  I mean, we have a lot of questions to consider.

RCL tomorrow and Geneva for cocktails.  The blog may suffer.

BCOT

1 comment:

camperkev said...

I heard a report on NPR yesterday about the USPS and what was interesting (and I didn't know) is that the USPS is required to fund it's retiree program (benefits included) upfront and that amount is what makes them operate at a loss. The other interesting tid bit was that they are also required by law to not close any post office branches due to decline in use. While they have no unfunded retirement liabilities (unlike any state agency in the US) they can't create efficiencies (outside of eliminating left turns on their routes).