Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wednesday

We made it to Briancon, France today and enjoyed a long day in the Alps. They are really big. I don't think that the elevation is much, if any, more than Mt. Rose, but the roads are considerably more narrow and scary. I don't think that they have roads there except to service the cycling community.

Briancon is an Aspen or Vail type of ski resort area. Lots of condos and apres ski looking places. There's a historical mountain fortress area that they have used for the nerdy tourists as well.

I've decided to take the shorter route up the Galibier as the side that I had first considered has a Mt. Rose style hill before you even begin the main climb. I'll leave that side to my more anal cycling friends. I figure that it's about 1.5 hours in the foothills, and 2-3 to complete the 10-12 miles to the top. We'll see.

2 was a trooper today. Lots of very narrow and twisting, unfamiliar roads. At least tomorrow we will have seen them before.

Then I got lost coming back into town tonight within one missed turn of our hotel. It took another 30 minutes to struggle back in.

So we rewarded ourselves with a delivery pizza for dinner! How authentically Italian can you get?

An we are drinking French wine. Very international of us!

By the time everyone gets to work (or play...Tahoe Phil) tomorrow, I should have been to the mountain top. Say a prayer for me and my driver.

Thanks for reading. And the feedback.

Ciao!

BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds very scenic. Normally I would agree with the play commnent but we are in Naperville with the 3 grandkids and Jan is going back to Tahoe tomorrow so I am not sure I would define the next 5 days as play even though they will be very enjoyable. Lots of energy here..

Tahoe Phil

1 said...

maybe your trip is more like the bourne movies? any car chases?