Saturday, January 31, 2009

Saturday

It feels almost Spring-ish today. Sunshine too. But the 9AM spin class was certainly the choice. An outside ride wasn't even considered.

Successful evening at Biaggi's last night. We had at least ten people around a couple of tables at one point. Good times with good friends.

Did I formally announce here that I am "off" potatoes and Classic Coke until Thanksgiving dinner? I'm looking to tone up for Italy and those are a couple of food/drink exclusions that might otherwise add as much as 200,000 gratuitous calories this year. I'm already looking forward to Thanksgiving.

(I see where Coke has announced that they will be taking the term"Classic" off the drink at some point in the near future. I guess they figure that enough time has passed since their disastrous reformulation experiment that the adjective "Classic" is no longer necessary. Do they even make "New Coke" anymore?)

Liberty School cabernet is a nice, medium-priced wine that is a current fav. Since Biaggi's had run out of some of my regular selections, I had called the assistant manager earlier in the day and asked to run over to Hy Vee and pick up a case of Liberty School for last night's gathering. She did so, but only four bottles which lasted about 1/2 the evening. I told her that she needed to stock more of medium-priced wines, even if they were not overly toney. Paying $40-50 for a bottle that you know costs $17.99 is not a thrill.

A little factoid relevant to the times and the state of Iowa: Kurt Warner, tomorrow's Super Bowl quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals, and Zack Johnson, pro golfer (in contention this week and Master's champ a couple years back) are both graduates of the same high school: Cedar Rapids Regis. Suite.

One other point. It may have snuck through in my meanderings that my politics tend to a little right of the left. Since Hollywood and it's stars tend to be quite a bit left of left, I've had to chalk several fantasy friends off my list. The latest is Ashley Judd, whom I have previously placed on the same page as Michelle Pfeiffer. Ashley was quoted this week at an uber femlib luncheon that, "It's so nice to live in America again." I'm wondering how that quote will play in Lexington at the next Kentucky game? Whatever.

Big game at Augie tonight. Wheaton is in town for a rematch. Their All-American is healthy and Augie's got one starter hurting. Hope the home court makes up for it.

Spin in the AM and then IC with 4.

Have a great evening.

BCOT

No comments: