Friday, January 09, 2009

Friday II

I've had this idea several times recently, particularly after the multiple mis-steps that I had when I went to that first early-morning spin class last Monday. There's been a lot written about life-time "bucket lists", those things that people want to make sure that they do before they check out for their respective after-lifes. In my case, and without regard to my mortality, I need to make a bucket list every time a that I walk out the door.

I think that the popularity of the "bucket list" is a left-wing liberal thing. It sounds good, has a wanderlust sense to it, and elicits a certain euphoria of "getting there". My guess is that a few of the modern-day liberal arts colleges have bucket list courses, maybe even majors. No more of the jocks working on their General Studies degrees. The new focus is on feeling good, achieving, understanding one's self. Develop your bucket list.

What a crock.

But I digress.

Seriously. I make lists all the time. I have a day trip to C-town; I make a list. I do a conference in KC; I make a list. I take a 45 mile round-trip bike ride to DeWitt: I make a list. A week in Tahoe? I start my list six weeks ahead of time. Given my problems on that first oh-dark-hundred spin class, I now have a written list on my counter that I scan before heading out.

One thing that I don't have is a "bucket list" as it is known or regarded in popular culture. The trip to Italy with 2? It came up as a result of Briancon, France being an over-night town on the Giro (Italy) and the Tour (France) in the same year a couple of years back. 2 and I will have a trip to remember, for sure. But I'm not sure in the long run, if it will be any more special than a Friday night at Biaggi's, or a routine basketball game at Augie.

Nothing I do will ever be as special as Christmas Eve at Chunky Cheese, or a day at Sand Harbor.

I may add more to this another time.

BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great place to spend the 60th. I make list to but never can remember where I put them. Maybe in the bucket!!

Phil

Anonymous said...

it's usually not where you are but who you're with that makes an experience special. but lets not get too sappy here...