Monday, January 26, 2009

Monday

Big Monday. Time for the Irish to lose their 4th straight. Mike Brey will never be confused with a defensive genius.

I spent most of the day completing an on-line course to obtain another professional certification. I had started it last week, and decided that I needed to take the full dose over the space of no more than a couple of days, rather than take the Chinese waterboarding (oops!) torture over a week or more. Mission accomplished. (Oops again.)

Some post-course observations:

1. I used to turn my nose up at on-line course work thinking that you had to be "there" to truly benefit from the program. Since my attention-paying habits at CPE programs have gravitated over time to near-zero, I'm rarely "there" anyway. On-line, here I come.

2. The program was audio with slides. You had to select the next slide when the audio was done for the current slide. That required a higher level of attention as compared to simply watching a video presentation.

3. Successful completion required passing a post-course, 60 question multiple-guess test. In this respect, the on-line course was/is certainly more difficult than on-site attendance.

4. This test was a little less-refined than some of those securities exams that I have taken in the past. You couldn't come back to a question, or review your answers before hitting the "done" button. Absent that feature, my test-taking skills are further challenged.

5. Why would you go to Pittsburgh to take this program? Even without regard to the marginal costs of travel.

6. The outfit sponsoring the designation has a great scam going. Their marginal cost of me taking the course was in the low two digits. My discounted participant fee was $1,375.

7. The best part of the scam was/is the additional $325 required for my first year membership fee for the organization that I am now a recognized "designee". Suite.

8. Can you say, "University of Phoenix?"

Moving on...

I successfully downloaded pics to a chip and key ones from the family will be in hard-copy form tomorrow. The next level of progression will be to do this all by email with Walgreen's or the Camera Shop. Suite two. (Snapfish is suite three.)

I'm thinking spin the AM again. It makes the nights a lot more productive.

Thanks for reading. Have a great evening/day.

BCOT

2 comments:

camperkev said...

UC, we use shutterfly for our pictures and have been pretty satisfied with them. I used to use smugmug.com for my picture storage, but have switched to picasa via google for free. It's a great way to share pics. People can download the pic from picasa web albums, which is a neat feature and you don't have to worry about filling up email boxes with individual photo attachments. Check out the pics from my rec class at: http://picasaweb.google.com/camperkev/REC4705Winter2009#

Anonymous said...

Martha said:

I have been very interested in online education since I have never done any either as a student or a teacher. I'm wondering how teachers are being trained to use the internet for teaching because I would guess that most high school classes have some type of internet component (or should have)

Schools are going to have to use this low cost method; especially rural high schools.

USA Today has a big article on Pat Summit. She credits growing up on a farm; the hard work ethic and the bb court in the hayloft (how many kids have an indoor bb court?)
I think one of the biggest assets that farmers have is knowing that you can't control everything; the weather, the markets, the government and then you adapt to that.