Saturday, August 30, 2008

Saturday

This is a shout out to my pal Pete. He drug me through 30 miles this afternoon when I absolutely would have stayed on the couch if he had not called. And I was pathetic. Way too much Sonia red last night. For his outstanding efforts, he is Pal of the Day, a new, but important recognition for 4000 Days.

Pete and I will be doing the local bike club's "century" ride in two weeks, which will be the last significant ride for me for the Summer. He'll do the metric century (62.5 miles), and I'll do a half century (50 miles), kind of like a half marathon. Believe me, 50 will be a marathon for me. I don't want to clutter his ride with my lack of speed. He has a couple of other guys with whom he regularly rides, faster, so we'll connect at the rest stops.

And here's a small shout out to 3 who is playing tourist in Washington DC this weekend. I know that she was a little worried about missing some Iowa FFF, but it didn't happen. 4 blew in and out of town before I could fire up my new grill. We did watch part of the Iowa game today over lunch at Sport's Fans. Hardly FFF worthy.

Actually, for less than full-family attendance events in the future, I'll be using some lower case "f"s.

Iowa's "No Smoking" law has been interpreted to extend to the parking lots at State university football games. The fans can BBQ, but not smoke. Let's hear it for decisions by committees.

I will be curious, along with most of the rest of the country, as the vetting of Sarah Palin hits full stride. The Democrats would love to find some Alaskan dirt with sticking power. The Republicans fear the same. I'm pretty confident that this Sunday's NYT will present a balanced point of view.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day.

BCOT

2 comments:

camperkev said...

UC, i did some bike shopping this weekend. check out my blog at www.camperkev.com for the details. (blog inspired by 4000 days). btw, what is the significance of 4000 days?

Anonymous said...

Alaska update: 17 and preggers. But they're getting married, so it's all good. Maybe she can get some parenting tips from Jamie Lynn...