Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday




This is not in response to 4's comment on yesterday's blog, but there will be those who conclude otherwise.

I had actually been considering the timing on this recognition all of last week. Here's to 4 as Daughter of the Day for beginning her last year of college. While this is definitely an important year to her, it has been a year that Mom and I have been looking forward to for even longer. When 1 went off to St. Thomas in 1998, we had 16 college years to provide for in the higher education economic equation. Having the last of those years on the active roster is a big deal.

Our Internet connection at the office is down today. It went down Friday afternoon and I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a Qwest advisor going through the re-boot protocols. To no avail. And our IT contractor hasn't returned our calls. Welcome to Monday.

The Hy Vee meat department has been pulling a fast one on me all Summer, and I just figured it out yesterday. I have been buying 8 ounce steak filets for 2 for $8 for the grill. They're the right size and thickness for an almost always perfect meal. When I stopped in yesterday, they were marked 2 for $5 and I thought that I was really getting a deal. As the butcher pulled my request from the case, and I commented on the "deal", I also did the math and realized that the steaks were 5 ouncers rather than 8's. So the reality was/is that the price per ounce had not changed, but there was that initial perception that I was getting the "deal".

But even after I realized that I wasn't getting a "deal", it took me a little longer for the clouds to clear and for me to see that I was spending $8 per pound for the meat, regardless of the price per ounce! And I would never pay $8 per pound!!

More math later. Have a great day.

BCOT

No comments: