Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wednesday


These pics are not from Hot August Nights in Reno last week. But they could have been. Margret is not a show car, but she still draws interest. 2 and I saw a Margret clone in convertible format at the auction. For a minute, I was tempted to get into the mix. Fortunately, the bidding got into five figures which took away my interest. Like I needed another car.

My body has yet to recover from the trip. From the time I got the 1AM Friday morning automated phone call on the cancellation of our flight, I have been one groove short of matching the regular/expected response ratio. Just plain off. I didn't think that it was a sleep thing, but maybe that's it. Last night I was staring at the ceiling at midnight.

Lots of news in all forms of media on the Olympics. I haven't got the bug. I find the time difference disconcerting. I've never been a fan of tape-delayed broadcasts, even if its a round of weekend golf on network TV. Some of the NBC televised evening events are coincidentally live as they are actually taking place the following morning in China.

It is interesting to read some of the stories of the men and women who compete in obscure sports that you never hear about, even in the box score pages of USA Today. They work years and years on skills that receive publicity only on this quadrennial basis. Whatever it takes.

The three commercial outlets in Incline Village that we most-frequently visit on our Tahoe vacations, SB's, 7-11, and Raley's grocery, are examples of ventures that could fail only if management made a concerted effort to do so. I suppose that they could run into problems if they lost contact with decent employees, but with their locations, and the lack of competition, even poor service might not hurt the bottom line all that bad. That SB's has to be a gold mine.

Knock on wood, but I think that I fixed an electrical problem on Margret that no less than three maintenance shops either failed to address or diagnose. My brake lights were staying on after I had driven the car around town for several errands. The problem only appeared after the brake fluid had heated up and the switch on the master brake cylinder wouldn't perform it's auto-shut-off function. My neighbor Jim and I figured out it was the switch last night, and I replaced it tonight. Shockingly, the local Autozone Parts store had the replacement switch. For good measure, the wrench I used to make the fix was an old pipe wrench from the farm. I mean, Margret is from 1964!

This last photo today of Sand Harbor in the distance was taken from the scenic overlook above Incline Village right after we took the family pics. What great stories those rocks hold!

1 and 3 need to share their digital photos. I'm hopeful that one of the family pics on those cameras is a little better than my copies. (Uncle Phil's photography skills may need work.)

OK. This is a good first step back at the blog. More tomorrow.

Have a great day.

BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm working on getting mine uploaded on walgreens. should be ready to share later today...

camperkev said...

we don't usually let Dad touch the cameras. Your lucky he didn't drop it. it was great seeing you all that weekend. i enjoyed getting coffee at starbucks with 1,2,3 and UC.