Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday

The Top Ten things that I learned on my Summer vacation, not necessarily in order of importance:

1. A "Full-Sized" rental car seats five, not six. That front console is a game-breaker. We're talking "Luxury" car in the future. Four adults don't fit in the back of an Imapla. In my family, based on a 20 year recollection, 4 girls of any age don't fit in that confined of a space. Live and re-learn.

2. A Lake Tahoe vacation is a lay-up. It can't be screwed up. A day at Sand Harbor is perfect.

3. Renting a good road bike is a much better option than trying to transport your own by air or delivery service. Not only are the economics at least as good, if not better, you don't have the hassle of handling the out-sized box. And with my skill level on the bike, and the quality of the average rental bike, why think that your riding experience will be measurably less? Hello Italian bike.

4. A mobile office can work. Technology can allow you to remain in communication with customers and perform most functions regardless of your location. I participated in a 4-way conference call on my cell phone in the middle of a ride up Mt. Rose on one day, and handled all my email each morning so that there was no backlog on my return.

5. Our clan can drink some wine. And I'm not sure that it has to be all that good of wine to meet our minimum criteria. (Aunt Margaret and Uncle Howard do help out with the average consumption rate.)

6. One week is not enough of vacation to cleanse the mind and body of the stress/challenges of everyday living. Then again, when you get to be this old, if you get away too long, you forget what it is that you're supposed to be doing. Tough call.

7. One community laptop computer with open wireless access to all is enough for the fam for this kind of trip. Since we don't spend that much time in the condo, the extra machines would just become baggage.

8. I could probably spend a little more time at the Hot August Nights auction. Its worth a return trip in a future year. And I will get bidders' credentials.

9. Starbucks is a family addiction. The Incline Village SBs is one of my Top 5 favorite SBs. Its also handy to have our rental unit within walking distance of the coffee shop. With The Sev and Raley's all right there, what more could a family on vacation need?

10. Air Travel is a crap shoot. (Like this is new news.) Next time, the direct flight to Reno out of ORD will be my first choice.

All in all, Lake Tahoe is a wonderful Summer place to visit. I'm thinking that the snow in Winter might get old (although Uncle Phil says not). Traffic around the lake can get iffy, but if you pick your spots, its not awful. Wally beers on the deck at the Embassy Suites will never get old.

Have a great day.

BCOT




2 comments:

Mary Margaret said...

This post made me smile. I love family vacations. Let's always take them, okay?

Anonymous said...

i agree. why don't you get saving for that down payment, mar?