Friday, August 22, 2008

Friday


Here's an unusual recognition for 1 as Daughter of the Day for the second time this week. She landed a long-term sub job earlier today which is certainly not her dream job, but is a great first step forward. Way to go, Kiddo!
.
The computer conversion is basically done, and it seems that most of the bugs have been erradicated. We'll see after a few days just how many are still left in the electronic woodwork.

Does it seem like the Olympics have been going on for a month, or what? Then again, I'm not all that anxious to face two weeks of saturation coverage of the political conventions beginning this weekend either. Of course, that second convention might have trouble making it on to the front pages or evening newscasts.

We have the Amman, Jordan branch of the clan now in the readership. They are obviously desperate for entertainment in the mid-East.


Nice little move in the market today. Favorable words from 3's BFF Warren Buffet gave rise to a higher opening, and then Bernanke's comments mid-morning were not so damning to take the air out of the balloon. Still lots of issues out there with the credit markets, so don't go betting the rent money on a big push upward next week. Look for more ups and downs as the housing inventory sorts itself out. Over the next year or so. Ugh.

The U of Iowa's football coach was considered one of the worst economic investments in some review of college coaches' salaries published last week. The guy makes $3 large per year, and the team has played .500 ball the last three years. They don't get lots of blue-chip players in IC, and they have a small problem keeping team members off the police reports. They open this year against the powerful Maine Black Bears (who happen to include on their schedule this year such opponets as Stoney Brook, Iona and Monmouth). Brats in the parking lot may be the order of the day every Saturday.
.
The Cubs continue to draw 40,000+ for every home game. That's a lot of Old Style.
.
So again, congrats to 1.
.
Have a great weekend.
.
BCOT


2 comments:

camperkev said...

So, who is signed up to receive the text message from Obama? Tim Kaine was quoted as saying, "I haven't because I don't know how, but my son has." He's certainly not going to bring in any Gen Y or Gen X endorsements with that attitude.

Anonymous said...

Kev - I hate to break it to you, but we may be the only donkey's in this crowd...

I have access to blogs and facebook today thanks to a trip to "The House" (mom's) to do laundry and pick up mail and other forgotten items. Char - you know, I'm the one who made dad bring that bed back from grandma Horan's and not once after I moved back did I ask for it while you were using it (or weren't sleeping on it during your 3 previous years of college) - so quit whining about me taking something that wasn't yours to belong with.

Katie - congrats!
Mary - keep making friends and loving Boston!

I've got little else. I spent 4 hours cleaning my house this morning. I think I might order a couch and chair tomorrow. They say it takes up to 8 weeks to get here, so the sooner I buy it the better.

I've also decided that all the doors in my house are put on the wrong side and that the passage ways are way too small. The desire to be able to move through my house with out getting bumps and brusies has become another insentive to stay slim!!