Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Wednesday

The good news is that 4 has finally made a re-appearance on her blog.

I received my TOMRV entry form this week. The ride is scheduled for the weekend of June 9-10. As you may recall, last year's KC wedding conflicted with TOMRV and I didn't even register. But then as things turned out, the weather was sooo bad that Saturday morning in the QC's, lots of cyclists bagged the whole deal. So I didn't feel so left-out. Because it is unlikely that I would have started in rain and wind. I mean, it's not like I get paid to ride.

Anyway, I have ridden just the first 85 miles of Saturday (ending at a bar in Galena) the last 3-4 times I've done the ride, so I will probably plan to do the same thing this year. Early registration ends 3/31/07.

Question of great debate for the day: do Leap Year babies celebrate their birthdays on February 28th or March 1st?

On a similar note, or at least in the same hemisphere of mental gymnastics, my patch to Windows to account for the earlier Day Light Savings Time this year doesn't work. What do you call it when the specifically designed fix to a problem doesn't itself work? My guess is that it is operator error. Me being the operator.

The Hawks' actually begin their NCAA tournament tonight. If they don't beat Penn State in State College this evening, say "Hello" to the NIT.

Craig Wilson's column in USA Today was about people's tendencies to talk about themselves in conversation. He calls it me-ism. We joke at coffee about a couple of acquaintances in particular whose response to that comment might be, "I'm tired about talking about myself all the time. Why don't you talk about me for a while." Wilson's suggestion was that you should ask questions of people to get them going on something other than themselves. He recognizes that some will turn that question into a soliloquy, which is why I will not even open that door to certain people. But I do think that there is an art to get an intelligent conversation going with friends and new acquaintances.

My contractor is still at it in my upstairs bathroom. I think that he is making progress.

My pal Pete's son who is the point guard at Augie, was a unanimous selection to the All-Conference first team announced late yesterday. I know it's D-III. But, he deserves props for excelling at his level. Obviously, the other coaches agree. He was also named earlier this week as one of 10 finalists in a national D-III recognition program for athletics, academics, and community service.

3 and 4 are now looking at the QC Distance Classic in Rock Island in early May for their half marathon. I think that that run is a good choice. But there is a hill in the route that will remind them of Brady Street in the Bix. The finish-line is on the Augustana track.

Enough. Have a good evening.

Be careful out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I were a leap year baby I would celebrate on March 1 so that when February 29 does roll around it's like celebrating a day early instead of late.

Plus, February sucks so 75% of the time you can pretend it's not really your birth month.