Thursday, February 01, 2007

Thursday

How 'bout them Hawks? I was stunned to return to the game in the last 6-8 minutes and find them ahead. And even though they gave up most of the lead, UM displayed the lack of heart that all of Amacher's teams have shown in the past. Did you see the ring of empty seats in the upper deck at Crysler Arena? Maybe they have the same love of their team as do the folks in IC.

I will be real happy to get passed the Super Bowl. It is especially bad this year because of "Da Bears". I listen to a lot of Chicago radio on a routine basis. This past couple of weeks has been wall-to-wall Bears on every station. Enough already.

Hey 1! Would you like to give the readers a grammar lesson on the use of passed and past?

Profoundly liberal political columnist Molly Ivins died of breast cancer this week at the age of 62. I never thought much of her ideas or of her irreverence to the President. She seemed to take great pride in her uncompromising criticism of anything George Bush. In many respects, she was a flash point for the deep divisions in our country's mental health. Liberals loved her every word. Conservatives decried her in ugly response to her musings. I sincerely wish that the strident voices on both sides of the abyss would stop yelling and scolding each other, and would work together to find some common ground for the benefit of all.

Nobody deserves to die of breast cancer at age 62.

And exactly what happened to January? Then again, Spring is next month.

My buddy Bill's recently college-graduated daughter left from SF this morning to begin her life as a Peace Corps volunteer in Cambodia. For two years. For like $6 grand a year. I know there are the intrinsic benefits of the experience and all that, but it makes me a little nervous. Fourty years ago, the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia were our sworn enemies. I think. Good, bad, indifferent or otherwise, I hope my girls stay in the US of A.

Throwdown Thursday.

Be careful out there.

No comments: