Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Wednesday PM

I'm not sure if I had all that productive of a day. But I'm out of gas, so I guess the day is done regardless.

My pal Bill is headed out tomorrow AM for a long weekend in Napa wine country. I'm not sure if that is a destination of choice for me, but it sounds pretty good right now.

And my pal Roy is on another 10 day golf trip, this time with Muscatine buddies at a place in Florida. Life is hard.

Some pretty serious controversy in NASCAR. Five teams have received stiff penalties for funny business in last Sunday's qualifying runs for this coming Sunday's 500. The story today was that one guy was maybe using jet fuel. They're just good 'ol boys trying to win a race. The Twin 125's are tomorrow with all but the top two spots in play. Actually, it's more complicated than that, but I've already lost most of my audience, so we'll move on to other things.

Valentine's Day was always a special day when the girls were young. I tried to get small gifts or flowers to them, through high school. I suppose most of my efforts were lame by today's standards, but my intentions were good.

I'm sure that way back when, I bought flowers for my high school girl friend, but since I never had any money, I was buying like 2 or 3 roses as opposed to a dozen. My history of under-performance goes back a long time.

We made initial arrangements today for some logo'd polo shirts for the Criterium bike races which my company is sponsoring on Memorial Day. These are promotional things for casual business wear as contrasted to the t-shirts that will be sold to the general public. We had to make a small adjustment to the presentation of our firm's name in the logo due to some limitations in the stitching machine. By placing our name on the left sleeve, we can get the race logo small enough to look good on left breast area of the shirt where logos are normally placed.

This was a concession that I had to make for the best look to these shirts. I have insisted to race organizers that our name must appear in the logo itself in all promotional signs, banners and publications. The goal for my business is to get name recognition for the sponsorship, and I want to make sure that that goal is not lost by the organizers. Their goal is to put on a race, and I will need to keep my interests on the table, or risk attaining something less than the level of recognition that is my goal.

I like the spell-check of the New Blogger. But it doesn't have the context or usage insight that Word or other more sophisticated programs give you. But I can't complain. It helps.

Hope everyone has a good night.

Be careful out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most florists make a little over one third of their annual income on Valentine's day.

A garden columnist read at Prairie Lights last week. I didn't realize florists have their flowers shipped to them wholesale from all over the world. I figured they just had a garden out back.

I was telling some Thetas today how it was always a big deal to get called to the office at school on v-day when I was younger to pick up flowers or balloons.

In high school the office ladies hated me because they called us down during morning announcements but I'd leave the gift there all day long as it usually wouldn't be appropriate to stuff into a locker. This resulted in them calling me in between every class and me at the end of the day telling them I didn't know until just now. Then, I'm sure that happened with more than just Valentines...

It was a big deal. It still is - I got flowers for the start of the school year this last fall.

I've receive everyone's Valentine, I'm sorry I didn't get mine out this year.

ttyl :)

Anonymous said...

I second that V-day gifts at school were always cool. Dad always did a good job of dropping off little gifts; pencils, t-shirts, flowers. I remember in 1st grade getting this monster bouquet of balloons. For the past three years Matt and I have gone to Mama's, but due to the below freezing temps this year, a pipe burst in the building the restaurant is in and flooded the whole place. It is closed for two ro three months for remodling/repairs. It was an older restaurant and I think will be getting some upgrades that it would not have otherwise. They make pizzas in the shape of a heart for Valentine's Day, so to keep the tradition I made one at home. It was good, but no Mama's. I've got a teacher workshop tomorrow and Monday off. I need it, too. I had a strange week. With baskeball finally over I'm excited to get back into a more normal schedule. Matt has had six days off of refing, and has Richfield tomorrow night. I'll probaby go and rub elbows, to use dad's lingo. I got a hair cut and color tonight, and am not sure that everyone is pleased with the results. I'm definitely darker, but I was sooo blonde from all of the highlights that we needed to tone things down a bit. We should have my guy and the salon for the wedding, but the prices are a little more than I expected... off to watch CSI!
TTYL