Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Tuesday

Thanks to Katie for making an entry yesterday. I totally forgot.

This is the time of tax season when lots of returns go out the door each day. Items that had been holding a return up are resolved and the return is printed. Both the preparer and the taxpayer want to get the return filed. There is a sense of urgency that doesn't really hit the players until April 1st. Now, things get done. Were it so the rest of the year.

Interesting article in the Life section of USA Today today about a woman author who has written several books. Her current book was discussed in the article. She does one book per year, usually in 9 months time, and already has her 2007 and 2008 works completed. I envy that kind of organizational skill, luck, or dogged determination to be that far ahead, with economic benefits to boot.

Word is that the basketball Hawkeyes have lost at least two underclassmen and a couple of coaches. Numbers have had the remaining team members playing 4 on 4 for lack players. Can anyone say, "not even the NIT next year?"

I missed noting that yesterday was Grandpa H's birthday. He would have been 96. His and Mother's wedding anniversary is Thursday the 13th. They were married in 1936. Do the math.

I see in the paper that Terry Bradshaw is donating a lot of his memorabilia items to Louisiana Tech, his alma mater. Superbowl rings, MVP trophies and other stuff. His comments in the news releases were to the effect that, "I played in those games and I have the memories. That's enough for me, and this may help my school by displaying tangible evidence of post-college success." Terry Bradshaw has had a checkered history. Although he had great success in leading the Steelers to 4 Super Bowl wins, he was always considered a bit of a country bumkin, a rep that I think he encouraged at times. (Terry Hanratty out of ND was the poster boy of that collegiate class, but he had very limited success in the pros.)

Bradshaw has had a number of personal problems after football, and within the last few years he either announced it or it came out in the press that he suffered from depression. He continues to play the good ol' boy in TV football studio shows. He's just another public figure whose life I would not care to trade for. Bring me another messy tax return.

So anyway. I live.

Be careful out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just wanted to leave a quick note up between working on my big project and studying for yet another big test... I feel as though I dont have a CHANCE to be successful! But I really REALLY appreciate Susan driving up to Iowa City to bring me a computer and share a quick brew and some pizza at the Airliner. Thanks for initiating it, dad! And thanks even more to Soo for missing her haircut. Best wishes for that tomorrow! Back to the calc II book! Love to all!