Monday, April 03, 2006

Monday

Beautiful day here today. Almost 7PM and still light outside. Loving it.

We all have issues. Mary's computer died. Susan's office is in turmoil. Kate has bullet holes in the classroom windows. Charlie loses her mail.

Baseball has started. Cubs win! Cubs win! Cubs win! The opening game on ESPN was the White Sox and after the rain delay, they got done around 1:30AM this morning. Not that I was watching the game.

Here's a little factoid. In baseball, hitting streaks (getting at least one hit in each game) can carryover from last year to this year. Jimmy Rollins of the Phillies ended last year with a 36 game streak. By getting a hit in his first game today, his streak is at 37. (I'm not sure of the rules if the player participates in post-season games after the regular season like the World Series.) And consecutive hits in consecutive at-bats carryover from game to game. (Again, post-season games are different, I think.)

To the contrary in golf, a player making consecutive birdies cannot carry a streak over to the next round, not even if it is the same tournament. If a guy birdies the last 4 holes on Saturday and keeps it going through the first 5 holes on Sunday, he is given credit for 4 consecutive birdies on Saturday, but that's it for that round. Sunday is a new day and he has a streak of 5 birdies to start the round, but unless he keeps it going, his streak for Sunday is 5.

Then there is the business of the Grand Slam in golf, winning the 4 major tournaments each year (The Masters, The US Open, The British Open and The PGA). Bobby Jones is recognized as the only guy to do it. Tiger Woods has the "Tiger Slam" in which he won all 4 in a row, but one was in the prior or subsequent year. Tennis has a similar recognition rule.

Basketball generally recognizes consecutive free throws, regardless of the games.

Margret was on the streets yesterday! I got home late in the afternoon and it was threatening rain, but I was doing a little housekeeping in the garage and I decided to give a try at firing her up. Lo and behold, the battery was live and, after a little convincing, the ole 391 4 barrell roared to life. I hope to get her out for a longer ride this weekend.

All for today. Be careful out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cards are off to a good start, too, and I wore my Royals hat all day, even though they couldn't pull through. I'm really excited about baseball now, for some reason.


Mom's day was a success, good times were had by all. Mary and I worked out this morning, then went to investigate some tanning. She's checking out computers with Ryan Lewis tonight, I have some studying to take care of, but I never feel like I can study when it's light out. It will be hard to get myself to the library these last few weeks if the weather stays nice.

Although, yesterday there was a tornado warning and the sirens started going off and a computerized voice repeated "Attention, there is a Tornado warning for your area. Please seek appropriate shelter immediately." For 45 minutes. I thought I'd kill someone.


All right, just thought it'd been a while since I'd commented. I'm still reading, I've just been lacking in the thinking department since Spring Break. And then I started overeating Chinese food at strange restaurants calld Sushi Po Po. Looks like the beginning of a downward spiral.

Anonymous said...

Thought on winning the Horan Clan Challenge, Oracle?

Anonymous said...

Martha-I've only been doing a quick 15 minutes of yoga for a few different classrooms. It was my teacher's idea; our classroom was in charge of providing activities for about nine other homerooms this week. I start with a few mintues of deep breathing, and then move into some sun salutations and do some poses. It's okay, and some kids tell me they really like it. For every one of those kids, though, you have five who are goofing off. I don't think they take it very seriously because it's not something they've been doing all year. I like it. I feel like I've woken up a bit after. It's also a tough thing to do in a classroom with forty desks! There isn't a lot of extra room! I looked online to find some chair yoga poses, but even those wouldn't work with the seats attached to the desks.