Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wednesday

I had this plan to get a post up yesterday, and some Freakshow Cabernet got in the way.  This bottle has become my current "go to" selection for everyday driveway use.  Mostly because the Hy Vee wine department has a nice special on it...and its a decent wine.  It runs a little higher than the J Lohr, but with the special price and case discount, I think I've been paying around $15.  The unique label is a bit of a conversation piece as well.

This Ryan Braun thing in MLB sounds like a player without much going on in the cranium.  It makes you wonder if these guys have any conception that being caught is even a possibility.  I'm assuming that the guy has some natural talent.  The economics of a failed drug test have to be in the high eight-figure range for him.  I don't get the logic.

Speaking of idiots, Anthony Weiner.  What more can I say?  If he stays in the race, and is elected, the residents of NYC will have proof positive that they have lost all contact with reality.

The CIC is flying to Moline International Airport today, then ground-transporting to Galesburg, an Illinois county-seat town just South of the Quad Cities.  Following up on his transformational, inspirational speech on race relations last week (as judged by the non-partisan network journalists), the seas are due to part following this presentation of his new vision on an economic plan for improving the lot of the 99%.  I guess.  What office is he running for now?

(I think "Playing in an American Legion baseball game in Galesburg" is my correct answer to the question, "Where were you when they landed a man on the moon?")

I saw a story on line this week where Maria Bartiromo, a fairly high-profile CNBC business anchor, is perhaps looking to make a change later this year at the end of her current contract.  I'm not a huge fan of hers, but she's OK, not overly annoying.  But she has reached the status where she can become part of the news herself, not just a reporter of the news.

Hosts and anchors tend to get into this cross-over area after having had ratings success.  You see it in all media segments.  Dan Patrick was an ESPN Sportscenter anchor.  Now he's The Dan Patrick Show, columnist and self-determined high-priest of sports news...and extremely annoying.  (Jim Cramer is the ultimate annoying business anchor.  I mute him or turn the channel before he speaks.)

The story on Maria Bartiromo suggested that CNBC overall ratings were declining and that she wanted off a sinking ship.  Network business news has to be an illusive thing to maintain success in, given from the start that it is cable, not a broadcast production.  Then you have an even narrower audience from the get-go.  I mean, its not The Kardashian's, so you don't pick up the casual viewer.  I wonder if Maria will find her way to FOX?

Beautiful day here.  Make it a Good Wednesday in your world.

BCOT

1 comment:

Patrick said...

You don't strike me as a weiner-phobe. I'm watching you...