Friday, July 05, 2013

Friday

The 4th of July was pretty much a non-event in the 52722.  My golf game in Muskie was forgettable in most scoring respects, but it was a Top Ten day weather-wise.  Low key afternoon and evening on Century Heights.  Bettendorf still does a big fireworks event, but we all took a pass.  Maybe when the kids are a little older.  Fireworks have never held my interest.

We did finally make it to Whitey's for some ice cream (which I think had some Twitter pics posted).  It was a successful trip (although 1.01 was too leery to jump in Margret with Mom!).

Anyone remember the viewing stand that we used to construct for the Bettendorf parade in the back of the truck?  I mean, why wouldn't we have a viewing stand?

My latest example of Sometimer's-related bumps in my daily routine involves my new, insulated coffee cup.  I really like the way it keeps the coffee hot, and I use it every day.  The problem comes in when I'm done drinking from my second cup and there may be as much as a half a cup left in the container.  I regularly forget to close the pop-up sipping lid, and whether I'm carrying the cup in my hands or have it sitting in the console of the car, I'll make some kind of a move that has the cup upside down and coffee spilling out the top. The car seat in the Buick, handouts for a client meeting, and some checks for bank deposit all got the coffee-treatment in separate incidents last week.  #slowlearner.

The TdF is getting into the Pyrenees.  The route this year goes clockwise, so after starting on Corsica, they headed West from Nice.  The stage Sunday ends in Bagneres de Bigorre where 4 and I spent four nights in August of 2011.  I wonder who will be staying in our hotel this weekend?  And what the room price will be? 

(Actually, I'm curious whether the teams will stay there Sunday night or elect to make the airplane trip North after completing the stage.  Monday is a "rest/travel day" and the Tour resumes on Tuesday in the Northwest quadrant of the country.  It makes sense to get to the rest day town Sunday night. So a stage-end-town like B de B might not actually have the teams in town for more than an hour or two at the end of the stage.  Maybe its better to be a stage "starting" town. )

The reviews for the new Lone Ranger movie are collectively tepid at best (and many say the flick is just plain bad).  I was a big fan of The Lone Ranger when I was a kid.  Half an hour on Saturday morning with other such notable shows as Fury and Sky King.  I'm pretty sure that I'll never see this latest iteration.  One review called it Pirates of the Caribbean meets the Old West.  Today's Hollywood needs to break down stereotypes and make sure that the public understands that absurdity is the norm.  All you old white guys are nothing but racists.  As though Johnny Depp is a role model.  Right.

Another steak-on-the-grill (modified fff) night ahead of us later before the Dornies head North tomorrow.  Maybe some pics later.

Enjoy the weekend!

BCOT 

No comments: