Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thursday

Just a small amount of slushy ice on my front windshield this AM.  That can't compete with the Winter weather that the folks on Harvest Path continue to battle, but it doesn't compute for my late-April expectations.  They say that we'll have 70 degrees here tomorrow.

I'm scheduled for a 3-hour continuing education program at the local testing center today.  For the general stock-broker license, you have to comply with numerous educational requirements, and this one is an every-three-years, proctored, computerized, inter-active, case-study, proficiency assurance exercise that is more confirmation of basic securities logic than an examination.  Still, the proficiency is measured through multiple-choice questions.  Incorrect answers lead to additional elements in the case-study until you get enough questions correct.  Kind of a pain.  And basically CYA-stuff for the regulators and the brokerage firms employing the brokers.

I'm just about 48 hours from departure-time for my visit to NYC.  (This air traffic controller furlough issue has my attention.)  It occurred to me last night when I was out for a walk that my mind kicks in to an hour-countdown mode when I have something on my schedule that I'm either really looking forward to, or I'm running out of time to complete/address.  Obviously, huge events like 07282012, get on the internal clock a long time in advance of the occurrence date.  But smaller things take on importance as they become a short-term focal point.  Normally, the 72-hour mark is when I start noticing the clock.

Here's a list of some of the more notable countdown's that come to my mind:

1.  1700 hours on April 15th.  This doesn't happen every year, but it did in 2013. 
2.  Second semester finals at ND, May 1969.  I had to ace my Stat 101 final to pass the course.  Which I did by studying and memorizing prior year tests.  The lazy prof used one of 'em!
3.  Those kilometer-by-kilometer signs going up The Tourmalet with 4 in August of 2011.
4.  My return to the good ol' US of A from my Korea one-year tour of duty.  September 1974.
5.  Green Bay half-marathon.  May 2004.  Brutal.

Obviously, the title of this blog reflects a basic countdown mentality as well.  As does my 60-month program started a year ago (which is now a 48-month program by my math).  Could it be that I'm hung up on numbers?

Moving on...

I got caught in another grocery-shopping buyer's oversight last week.  I'm trying to figure out whether Hy Vee was being less-than-direct, or whether I was just being too casual.  It was one of those "3 for $11" deals for 12-packs of soda.  I picked up one pack and went through the check-out where the gal charged me $4.69 for the soda.  I questioned whether she ran the coupon, and she said that you had to buy 3 packs to get the lower price.  An assistant manager came over and confirmed the treatment.

Now I know that I buy one of many things in the store where the advertised price is, "$x for 2", and they give me the advertised price for the one item. I gathered from the assistant manager's comment that when goods are marked, "$x for 2 with coupon", then you have to buy 2 to get the lower price.  I don't think that I have ever made that distinction previously.  Interesting.  And in the aisle where I picked up the soda, I don't recall seeing the "with coupon" advice prominently displayed.

My global debriefing conclusion on this is that stores continue to play a little game with consumers.  I understand that I am the responsible party here, but I'm also a little offended at the gimmickry that is sometimes employed in the grocery-shopping business.

Speaking of gimmicks, Wells Fargo is playing one on my investment clients.  They're changing the cash options for the temporary cash positions in accounts to one of their own house-funds...with some pretty high internal expenses.  Just like their announced changes earlier this year for monthly fees in small consumer checking accounts, the bank is looking for revenue.  I understand that businesses need to make money.  But...  Its another example of the importance of paying attention to your wallet.

All for now.  Make it a good day.

BCOT

No comments: