Friday, April 05, 2013

Friday

Well, that Iowa game wasn't the most fun to watch last night.  At least 3, 3.1 and 4 didn't fly across the country to see the game.  Its much easier to digest if its just an in-town trip to watch a rout.  I had the good fortune of not watching the second half.  I see in the box score this AM that the Hawks shot 26% from the field.  You win lots of games with that marksmanship...Not!

But once the bad taste from this game is allowed to dissipate, the Hawks will look at their NIT run as a stepping-stone for next season.  One adjustment that will be made is that they'll need to schedule some pre-conference-season games with schools other than Directional State Junior College.

I had to detour from my normal route home last night due to the cops/EMT's blockade on Spruce Hills Drive East of I-74.  I think this is the first motorcycle fatality of the season.  From the story in this AM's paper, I'm guessing that a driver of a car failed to see the motorcycle coming and turned right into its path as the car attempted a left-turn, crossing the lane of on-coming traffic. Donor-cycles.

The whole matter of the danger of left-hand turns makes the argument for round-a-bouts worthy of discussion.  Americans don't get it because we've lived (and died) with the left-turn as a staple in our motoring culture.  But I think that cities and towns should expand the use of the round-a-bout and get
people more tuned-in to the safety of eliminating the turn across traffic.  Distracted driving and a person's natural tendency to look right through something in front of us make the left-turn across traffic one of the most dangerous moves on the road.

Most of the local golf courses, including Geneva in Muscatine have opened.  My buddies will be out there this weekend for sure.  We still don't have much in the way of green grass, but it looks like the temps are moving to the 60's this weekend.  The parking lots still have the piles of dirty snow that have yet to melt.  But maybe I'll be able to put the parka away for the year.  My 2012 calendar shows me as having mowed my grass twice this week, and having my pre-emergent and initial weed-n-feed already on the yard.

In the For What Its Worth Department, I think my health status has moved to 95% of normal this week.  Maybe those walks with The Winniferous last weekend got me over the 90% hump.  There's the possibility of me getting on the bike tomorrow and Sunday if the rain stays away.  I describe my 2-month recovery from the pneumonia as a "long slog up-hill".

Without going into the details of any of the stories, news out of Rutgers basketball, Pac-10 refereeing, and Auburn football all suggest that there is no veil for people to hide behind.  The phone-video device is omni-present.  You are never-ever below radar.  We are in a TMZ driven world.  That said, the "investigator" behind the Auburn story (which may have too much dirt to ignore) is muckraker Salena Roberts, who has never let an opportunity to make a headline pass her by.

Another busy day on Kimberly Road.  Make yours a Good Friday.

BCOT



No comments: