Monday, September 05, 2011

Monday

So here are some pics from our weekend visit from 3 and Herky.  Other than a little rain on Saturday nite that forced the BBQ on Maplecrest to an inside event, a good time was had by all.  The NYC couple should be winging their way back to The Big Apple as I write this entry.

Let's make 3 and Herky Family Couple of the Day.

My Sunday wasn't overly productive.  Late in the afternoon, I decided to make an initial attempt to go through the "junk" boxes in my extra bedroom, a long-overdue project.  Let's face it, my extra bedroom is not a high-demand piece of real-estate.  I have stuff in there, unpacked, from my last three moves...and my last four (count 'em) cars at time of disposition.  Plus some Grandma Margaret items that go back even further.

A couple of observations: 1) junk accumulates in surprising quantities, even for a single person; 2) most of it will get thrown-away sooner or later...if not by me, by my heirs.  Now is probably better.  (Kind of like how cheap wine is cheap wine, even in Europe, my junk is truly junk, not someone else's treasure.)  I'm thinking that you really do make your house a home if you have a true, legitimate "junk" drawer.  Maplecrest definitely qualifies as my home.

Here's my list of Top Ten "junk" items:

1.  Pens.  I'm always looking for a good one, and an extra one for the car.
2.  Pennies.  No wonder they have to mint more all the time.
3.  Instruction manuals.  Cameras, phones, mowers, kitchen appliances, etc.
4.  Cards and letters.
5.  Car glove-box stuff.  Maps, warranties, repair tickets.
6.  Miscellaneous office supplies.
7.  AA and AAA batteries.  Do any have a charge?
8.  DVD's and associated boxes/sleeves.
9.  Pins, nails, business chotskie's.
10. Pictures, postcards, tickets, miscellaneous trip stuff.

One of the more meaningful boxes came from SRH's house.  First pictures from my first "good" camera in 1979, as well as pic's from the mid '70's from our Chicago days.  Notre Dame stuff, and even some things from high school.  That box went to the back closet and will be worth a visit in the future.  Moderately meaningful to me.  But to others?  Makes you wonder about the half-life of interest in the average person's memorabilia, especially to those other than that person.  Without the stories behind the pic's and souvenirs, what's their value?  Hmmm.  Maybe an analysis for another entry at a later date.

What do you say about the Irish's game on Saturday?  Losing the turnover margin 5-0 pretty much sealed the deal.  If you think these under-the-headline programs don't have some good athletes, get used to playing from behind.  The positive from this outcome?  Tickets should be available for reasonable prices for other games.  They could still finish 9-3. What a thrill.  Let's hear it for the You-Name-The-Third-Tier Bowl against Directional U.

My bike season is done.  With my pal Pete in a hard cast for another two weeks, I'm staying away from a chance at Rule #1.  2 and I start training for the Turkey Trot tomorrow.

The change in the Hope Page pic is motivated by thoughts of Tahoe next July.

Off to golf with my pal Ron.  Enjoy the holiday.

BCOT

2 comments:

1 said...

And I was going to say bring your bike this weekend because the weather looks good! Good biking weather is good running weather, too, though :-)

Anonymous said...

1. Get rid of something every day (even if it is only a magazine that you leave at the fitness center, doctor’s office etc
2. Know where donation centers are in your area…usually there is a convenient one on your way somewhere where you can leave clothing or household items no longer in use
3. Don’t try to organize everything at once. Bring a box to your living area and look at one thing every day.
4. A battery tester is a great tool. Radio Shack used to have them (Hint: Makes a good gift)