Sunday, June 05, 2011

Sunday

Wow!!! Busy week!  Not a lot of just hangin' out evening time since getting back from TC.  I need to do a better job of reserving some time to get on here every day.  Both for my well-being...and to feed the peanut gallery.

Here's a pic off of my phone from my late morning ride out to McCausland today. I remain pretty impressed with the quality of the pictures that come from my phone.  I took this one while holding the phone horizontally, and the result gives a good panorama of that big hill and the bottom-land South of town.

My pals Pete and Ron (and others, I think) did the Dewitt ride for breakfast, but I just wasn't quite up to committing to an 0630 departure, and I'm still not quite at the pace that "the boys" like to roll.  I struggled getting in 42 later on, especially the last few miles, and my decision to do the battle alone was the right one.  I would have been "dropped" at the first hill by any group.

And here's a family pic from last weekend in the TC.  I have a couple more that I will add later in the week.  1.01 changes so quickly, we should have a weekly update here so that we will be able to identify her at our next meetings.

I've spent enough time on the bike in the last couple of weeks to come up with a couple of topics for the blog.  The one that has current relevance is "smooth moves" that I have made in my career.  From a cynical perspective, as in "Smooth move, Sherlock."  The incident that prompted the thought was leaving a front window open last Thursday while the construction crew continued work on my street.  This the day after my RCH had done her magic.  Can you say dust?  Everywhere.

I'm carving out terms terms here.  A "smooth move" is different than a Sometimer's episode of losing your glasses or keys.  And it's definitely not a "gaff" or a "faux pas".  A smooth move needs to lead to a somewhat unfortunate result, not just embarrassment or inconvenience.  Here's my list of personal smooth moves:

1.  Obviously, leaving my house windows open in a construction zone.  Last week.
2.  Throwing my phone into the garbage along with a partially filled coffee cup.  Say 2003.
3.  Mixing up the letters to Mother and a former roommate.  Circa 1973.  What could go wrong there?
4.  Calling a date another girl's name.  At least twice.  Different girls.  Different decades.  Same results.
5.  Running my high school car out of oil.  Not low.  Out.  Literally.  1967.
6.  Registering for a Pass-Fail course, but not turning in the election form.  1970.  Yeah, got a D.
7.  Hosting a party on the farm when Philip and Margaret were visiting California.  Again, 1970.  Mother not happy when she calls, a girl answers, and I'm not even there.  Hmmm.
8.  Dropping the car keys through a parking lot sewer grate.  1977. 
9.  Taking a cooler of ice-cold beer to the game in East Lansing, November 1969.  Had to chip 'em apart.
10. Running out of gas.  Too many times to count, but only once in the last 10 years or so.

I think that the debate might be definitional.  And not of that much interest to the crowd.  Kind of like explaining the scoring system used for the Geneva golf event that I played in last week.  When the listener starts yawning, it's time to move on.

Here's a final pic of 1.01 to give you a good start to your week.  Make it a good one.



BCOT

No comments: