Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday

A little lunch with 4 at Golick's. Hard to beat. Especially with Margret as transportation.

My recollection of my post-graduation Summer is a bit sketchy. I know that I came back to Iowa for a week or two. Then I drove South and visited my senior-year St. Mary's, Cajun-French girlfriend in New Orleans for a week. (That went well, but I don't think that we saw much of each other after that trip. An early chapter in my history of unreliability.)

Then it was back to Iowa before an early July reporting date with the USAF in Wichita Falls, Texas for three months of Transportation Officer training. I lived in a sparsely furnished base dorm called the BOQ (Bachelor Officer's Quarters). Not unlike a motel suite. Upon completion of the training, I'm pretty sure that I drove back to Iowa (in the original Margret), and then on to Dover, Delaware in September for my first assigned duty.

At Dover, I again checked into the BOQ before learning the local lay-of-the-land. Within a few weeks, I moved in to share a two-bedroom apartment off-base with another Lieutenant who worked my same job with another crew on a different shift. Very basic living with tacky furniture and Wal Mart-quality utensils, appliances and window treatments. Then again, we were two guys with no lives, no families close-by, and little money.

I survived two years in that situation in Dover. And another 14 months in the similarly, plushly furnished BOQ in Kunsan, Korea.

(Just remembered. We had Polish cleaning ladies in the dorms at ND. And Korean cleaning ladies in Kunsan. Turns out that I have a bit of a history with International cleaning ladies.)

I'm betting that 4 will do just fine with her adventure in Lincoln.

Have a great weekend.

BCOT

No comments: