Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday

4 seemed to have a good time at the rally this AM. Although Palin did open up her remarks by saying how happy she was to be in "Grand" Rapids. And I think she mis-named the local hockey team. Still waiting on the report.

Another 35 minute training run tonight. Lots of ibuprofen and a tight leg sleeve left over from the ACL surgery. Not bad results.

My pal Bill heads over to South Bend tomorrow to watch his son run in a major cross country meet at ND. I can honestly say that I didn't know that ND had a cross country team during my four years there. I'm not sure if I even knew that there was a sport called cross country. (I did know some "track" guys.) I've given Bill instructions on where to find my name on the letter winners list in the basketball arena complex.

My neighbors are having a fish fry at their place tomorrow night. They caught some trout up in northeast Iowa last month and are grilling a mess up on their grill for a few neighbors and friends. I still remember one particular "shore lunch" cooked up by our guide on the one Canadian fishing trip I took with the guys as still being one of my Top Ten best meals, ever.

Huge win at Wrigley for the Cubs today. Four runs in the bottom of the ninth to tie, and a two-out single in the twelfth to win. The magic number is down to two.

Wall Street went on another roller coaster ride today, this time ending the day on an up note. The uptick was driven by the word that the regulators and politicians were getting together to come up with a comprehensive plan to address the major issues. I never have a great deal of confidence when a bunch of legislators have an impromptu presentation in a Capital Hill hallway expressing their commitment to quickly work out a solution to a national crisis level problem. When said gang is led by Nancy Pelosi, expectations need to be ratcheted down a few more notches.

Is there any possibility that cell phone use will be banned by all operators of cars, boats and planes? I see where California has banned train engineers from cell phone use while on duty as a result of the train crash last week. Its a lay-up. But there will be interest groups that will argue against such a ban, the same way the NRA argues against gun regulations, and the ACLU argues for the right to burn the flag.

I haven't been able to keep up on the latest O.J. Simpson trial.

I'm thinking that it will be a Margret day tomorrow.

BCOT

2 comments:

camperkev said...

Cali banned cell phone use while driving. I counted at least a dozen people talking on the phone/driving today while I was driving home. It's an effective law.

Anonymous said...

when i sit at a stop light i count the number of people in cross traffic going through the intersection talking on their phones. it's usually over 50%...not to say that i'm not an offender myself:)
what's the over/under on teaching? i've got a class of 9th graders with 38 students. all of my sections have over 30, but come on! can you imagine the pile of papers i bring home to grade? it's not realistic to think that one person can assess all that work and get it turned around in time for it to still be relevant. by the time i finish all these papers, we'll have moved on to the next lesson. i've been swamped with meetings before school and now my entire weekend will be spent reading the same paragraph over and over. in my prior two years, i haven't felt this overwhelmed. i just have too many kids.
but i'm glad to have a job;)