Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday

We didn't get Ike (I don't think), but we've had lots of rain here this weekend. The drought is over.

Congrats to the Hawks for their win yesterday. But what's the deal with that late safety? If the spread was 13 1/2, and they were ahead 17-3 on that 4th down with less than a minute to go, where do you think the coaches' money was to lead them to deciding that a punt was too risky?

Then we have the nimble Charlie Weis getting clobbered on the sideline in a case of collateral damage. I watched it once, and it wasn't pretty. He'll have the same surgery as Tom Brady. The left ACL is the same injury that I incurred now almost 20 years ago. They'll want him to lose weight to make his rehab more successful.

The Irish were a little better than the awful Michigan Wolverines. I'm assuming that the new guy at Michigan can coach. I mean, he did win a lot of games at West Virginia. Too bad they aren't on Iowa's schedule this year. (Nor is Ohio State. Could that mean two more victories than might be otherwise expected?)

I didn't know it, but my cycling season ended, unannounced, last Sunday. I got way-laid during the week with other scheduling issues. And rained-out this weekend. Hello Turkey Trot training! (The only open point is that I need to track down the t-shirt that I was supposed to get for today's Century ride.)

I felt like Mr Handyman yesterday. It was first a little electrical repair on a light switch to 2's basement (that was broken during the delivery of her W-D). Then the connection of the W-D to the gas, water and vents to the appropriate access points. Not overly complicated work, but I've been known to screw it up in the past.

Then I applied those same skills to a broken sump pump over at SRH's. The biggest challenge there was to get compatible connectors to the pump and the existing discharge PVC piping to the outside. Like most home repair, they're usually various ways to skin a cat (no offense,4), and I ultimately chose a gay device (as opposed to a male or female option). This is an example of my progress to Liberalism.

I've had another incident of computerize flight-schedule change-notification. This time it was for a flight that I'm scheduled to take in mid-October. It looks like its just a small time change. The real interesting thing is that I had forgotten that I had made the reservation! For the last couple of weeks, I have been meaning to get on-line to buy my ticket to Phoenix for a conference that I am registered to attend. Obviously, the early-Alzheimer's drug hasn't started to kick in yet.

My pal Roy spent the better part of last week in Napa doing a little golf and wine with a group of friends. Sounds like he joined a number of wine clubs, which may help to upgrade my own wine cellar, generous pal that he is. (Actually, my wine cellar might be more accurately described as a wine shelf, but why quibble on definitions?)

I missed the Tina Fey bit on Palin last night. Sounds like it went pretty well. SNL has made political mimicry a cultural staple. Its an entertainment show and has a long history of poking fun at anyone in the news. (Its also the three letter solution to a frequent crossword clue, "Late-night TV staple".) Personally, its brand of humor (epitomized by SNL alum Will Farrell) has never appealed to me.

So hope everyone has a good week.

BCOT

No comments: