Monday, September 08, 2008

Monday

They're projecting a low in the 40's tonight. I'm not complaining, but with that and the rapidly shortening days, we all know what comes next. But at our Scott Street house in Davenport, I always figured that I'd have a couple of weekends late into October, or even November to swap out the screens for the storm windows. So no reason to panic just yet.

Tuesday evening at The Airliner with 4 is on my schedule tomorrow. Its Iowa-Iowa State this week in IC. With both teams at 2-0 after the cupcake portion of their schedules, hope is high in both camps. The early line is Iowa -12. That's a lot of points in a game often driven by emotion. And the Hawks under Ferentz haven't exactly excelled in this annual grudge match. I know little about ISU at this point, but I'd be inclined to take the underdog on this one.

My most recent misplacement story is on my garage door opener. I tossed it in my recycling bin this morning (I think.) And I almost missed another meeting this afternoon. Although this is one that I didn't even put on my calendar. Because September 8th was way too far into the future to worry about.

I'm going to check out that early-Alzheimer's drug they're touting on commercial breaks in the network news telecasts and Wheel of Fortune. I can't remember the name of it. (Big Pharma owns the ad time on those shows. Count 'em sometime.)

Are we truly a free-market economy if we continue to bail out company's and institutions that are too important to fail? Bear Stearns. Fannie Mae. Freddie Mac. They say Ford and GM are next in line. The dollar's printing presses will wear out. Don't be fooled by today's short-covering rally.

On the Internet today, they have Lance Armstrong following Brett Favre out of retirement. He's already back on the drug-testing program. My guess is that he's figured out that he still has the ability to compete, and he's bored in his quasi-political efforts. Maybe he just needed a break like Jordan did when he spent time in minor league baseball. If Astana were to bring him back, my bet is that he could ride the wheels of their other studs and still win a big stage race.

Incidentally, today was the first stage in this week's Tour of Missouri. Those of you with a cycling interest, and we know that we have a new one in the crowd, can check it out at www.tourofmissouri.com

A couple of my favorite commentators, Olberman and Matthews, had their anchor responsibilities yanked for MSNBC's future political coverage. I'm shocked that such even-keeled reporters would get that kind of treatment.

All for tonight. I doubt if I get back in time from IC for a Tuesday entry.

BCOT



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot the name of the Alzeimer's medication you want to start taking? That's telling...

Totally jealous about the Airliner, per usual. Although your cheap date (1/2 price pizza tuesdays!) turns into a more expensive endeavor when you factor in the 90 minutes of roundtrip car-time.

Anonymous said...

So, the car time makes the pizza full price. Go on and tell me, 3, you wouldn't pay full price for an Airliner pizza.