Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday

SB's on a sunny Sunday.

2 and I had a good evening at the Augie game. The good guys won. Popcorn. Dogs. Life is good.

The Sunday NYT was again delivered by 9PM Saturday night. While it's articles and stories are interesting, and generally well-written, this is a paper that a little bit of goes a long ways. I would have trouble taking it as a steady diet. I suppose that it is natural for birds of a feather to flock together. The constant beat of their chorus is simply not my choice of music.

Another anniversary to consider this year is that it would be Mother's 100th birthday.

The AD at Augie is leaving at the end of the month to take a similar position at a school in Cairo, Egypt. He's 55, and he and his wife are apparently avid travelers, and all of the equations seemed to add up for them at this stage in their lives. I'm a little envious, but not a lot. On the plus side is the simple reality that such a dramatic change is possible for him/them. Physically and fiscally. In that perspective, owning your own business makes the exit strategy a little more complex. Mostly fiscally.

On the down side, I have negative interest in visiting, let alone living in, the Middle East. Islamic jihadists seem to calculate targets based on maximum body-count, regardless of the innocence of those whom we would call collateral damage. And I gotta believe that it gets pretty hot in Cairo. I mean, it's not like you see a lot of green landscapes in their travel brochures. Pyramids. Camels. Sand dunes. I'll take Iowa any day.

The above said, we are all replaceable. And if I were to have that truck run me down on one of my rides, the world, even my little one, would go on the next day without much interruption. So the excuse that you can't pick up and leave is a fallacy. Getting the math to work though is a challenge. And in a professional's situation, that spectre of a future law suit for some long-ago service contract gone awry years after the fact is a sad reality. Then again, that's why a retiring professional purchases a "tail" errors and omissions insurance policy.

I also ran into a client at the game last night who has done the re-locating AD one better: he's a 50-year-old retiree. And he's been retired for several years. Made a few mil on the sale of a business. Now his "job" is watching his kids play ball. Including the transporting of a youth baseball team to Summer tournaments in his 40+ foot motor home. Again, though, I have no real envy for his particular life, just of his ability to make those current choices of lifestyle.

One might take all of the above as a bit of a gloomy outlook today, and that is not the case. I'll stop at the Quick Shop on the way home, buy a winning Lotto ticket, and then you'' ll have to read about the complex problems of what a rich guy has in managing all of his money. Can anyone spell my pal R-O-Y?

So I'm off to have a successful day. You have one yourself.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

100 is old!

The Times is endorsing Hillary, right?