Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday AM

Guilty as charged. 2 had given me the same business at some point during our Augie b-ball outing on Wednesday evening. I had the best of intentions to return to a normal day's entry yesterday, but my pal Roy intervened and cocktails after work turned into dinner and 4000 Days never went to press.

The upside of this situation is that a lack of entries usually means that I have other commitments, which might mean that I actually may have a life.

Back to that insurance test. It was administered in the local offices of a company that is a commercial vendor for various licensing entities, whether they be states, municipalities or self-regulating associations. Testing companies can more efficiently handle the administration of these tests as they are all now basically computer-driven exercises that require the same type of closely regulated testing lab. As the test-taker, I'm always a little nervous when I say that I have completed the test and hit the "send" button. The results are immediately available.

The proctors in these computer labs are always individuals with Napoleonic authority complexes. You need to verify your identity, and they shoot a picture of you that is posted to your results certificate. You have to fully empty your pockets, take off your watch, and this time, even my fleece vest. (He said it qualified as a jacket.) None of your own paper or pencils. They issue this stuff, and confiscate same at the conclusion of the exam. The whole session is filmed.

The regulation of these testing labs can be comical, but then again, there was the story this week in the local papers about a guy who tried to use the infamous "Whizzinator" device to get through a drug test. I suppose that a guy who is a terrible test taker, but a great salesman, might consider hiring a "ringer" to take a securities exam. It's scary thought. These tests are generally very straight-forward, (there are few, if any, "trick" questions), and it's hard for me to imagine a person with proper training and preparation not being able to successfully complete the exercise.

Another by-product of the test was recognition that I am in my "grace period" for my passport. I would have been a hurting puppy if I had taken a trip and needed to rent a car this week. Rental companies are not in the habit of renting cars to drivers with expired licenses, grace period or not. I need to venture over to the licensing bureau this afternoon to get myself updated.

The issue of a valid driver's license has happened to me in the past. Since I have often traveled in early January after my birth date, there has been more than once that I've had to hurriedly re-new the license right before a departure date.

We're in the deep freeze for the weekend. 1 will have even lower temps in the TC. I don't think that the Packers game is one that I would jump at the opportunity to attend. What's the over-under on how many references there will be to the Packers-Cowboys "Ice Bowl" during the telecast? Including the pre-game and post-game shows, I'm setting that line at 20, and I'm taking the over.

Roy is headed to Orlando for the weekend. The PGA show is in town and he needs a few more golf clubs.

After last night's indulgences, I may take a pass on the normal Friday night social hour. Maybe another addition to the blog.

So have a great day.

BCOT

No comments: