Monday, January 21, 2008

Monday

Pretty calm day at the office today. Even though the MLK holiday has never been fully embraced by much of main-stream America, the closure of the banks and securities markets, the governmental offices, schools and the like tends to keep the roar of the crowd at a lower volume on this day.

4 started her Spring internship with the CR television station today. The early returns are positive, but her plate is full. We'll be anxious to hear details.

2 has her first grad school class tomorrow night in IC. She spent two days of her three-day weekend at a desk here in the office trying to get her debits and credits on the right side of the ledger.

No mail delivery today reminds me of the oldest evil trick in the book played on me as the littlest kid in the family by my siblings. Before the "new" Highway 63 was built in the mid-'60's, our mail was delivered to a box on the "old" highway, which was about a 1/4 mile to the West on the gravel/county road. If someone wasn't conveniently in a car coming home after the mail was "delivered", someone needed to walk up and retrieve the delivery. That someone was often me.

This was no problem, as I was always willing to take care of these kind of requests. Even on July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day and the like, if I were so asked. After all, my brother and sisters would never think that it was cute to send me up for the mail when they knew that there was no delivery. Right. (As a kid, I may have been a little slow on the uptake.)

I stopped in at the Duck Creek SB's for a mid-morning break, and the store was staffed entirely by male baristas. (Can a guy be a barista?) I don't think that that has ever happened in my history with that location. And I've bought a lot of coffee there.

The weather for the Packers-Giants game was everything it was billed-up to be. Brett Favre looked like there was no heat left in his body at the end of the game. At ND, we played some baseball games in persistent snow flurries, where striking out was not a bad thing (compared to hitting the ball and thus losing feeling in your fingers), but operating out there in below zero weather for three hours was crazy. Tough loss for GB. Great win for NY. (I actually think that NY has a better shot at NE than GB would have had.)

Have a great evening.

BCOT

No comments: