Monday, June 26, 2006

Monday

This is a non-fiction posting.

Monday is always a tough day for me. I never felt like I got a complete handle on things today, and it is now 6PM. And tomorrow will be an even busier day as I will be out of the office most of the morning.

Charlie had a little excitement this AM when she stopped for gas on her way back to IC. I'll let her fill in the details. It did involve her car keys. I still have flashes of dispair from an episode in the Chicago suburbs before any of the girls were born. We were out on your basic weekend shopping trip and as we approached the car in the parking lot of a big box store, I pulled the keys from my pocket, fumbled them and they fell to the ground. Except the "ground" was a sewer grate and the keys hit one of the cross bars, and then fell through into the deep unknown. We were stuck. Fortunately, we were only a couple of miles from home, it was a decent day, and we were able to walk there, get the extra set of keys and, I think, get our second car and return for the car in the parking lot. Everytime I fumble my keys even today, my mind races back to that time with the sewer grate.

I also remember a time in Ottumwa when Aunt Martha had driven down for a day-visit with her brood. On her way out of town she had stopped at a store for some things and one of the kids, John maybe, had somehow locked the keys in the car. She had to call Grandpa and I rode in with him to "help." I have a vague memory of waiting in the store's entryway with a somewhat unhappy Aunt Martha for the locksmith. I don't think it was very good weather, it was late, and the kids were a little excited.

There are lots of "keys locked in the car stories." One of my favorites was replayed at almost every ND home football game. Sometime in the first half, the PA announcer would invariably come on and say, "Ladies and gentlemen, your attention please. A red, four door Ford Galaxie (for instance), Iowa license plate number 90-12345, parked in Red Lot 2, your lights are on, your doors are locked, and your motor is running."

Finals of the college world series tonight on ESPN. North Carolina and Oregon State. ACC and Pac Ten. Are there two other conferences about whom I could care less? But I will watch the game. Both teams can play.

Kate has another interview this week. Knock 'em dead girl.

Charlie can also provide details on Bettendorf cat health care. I can't believe that the cats made the blog.

So everybody be careful out there.

No comments: