Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Tuesday...for real!

So this is the new place and we'll see how it works for a while. Seems easy enough.

Din-din last night with the girls at the Olive Garden was really nice, although it ended on a little bit of a bummer note when Mary's KC plans came officially unravelled. The girls have all had to deal with parents whose Spring Break plans have always been spelled I-R-S and not B-E-A-C-H. Sorry. In any event, the undergrads will have to make do in the QCA this week.

Picks are due for the NCAA tournament in the very near future. Things actually get started tonight with the play-in game in Dayton.

I was thinking today that the NCAA could resolve many of the "who gets in" debates by adding another 6-8 play-in games. I know that there will always be a debate about those last couple of spots, whether its the 63-64 slots or the 71-72 positions. But given history, the gripes have never extended beyond 3-4 teams who felt they got hosed in the selection process.

Another alternative that exists is to simply let everybody in and expand the tournament to another weekend. That's what happens in state high school tournaments. This would further diminish the relevance of the conference tournaments, and would create academic hardships for all the "student-athletes". Mostly, the money from the conference tournaments would be redirected away from the conferences and toward the NCAA. Put that way, I'm surprised the NCAA hasn't pursued the idea.

This site has a spell check feature, but I just tried to use it and either I'm a great speller, or the thing is asleep at the switch.

Since Kate has had experience with the site, I may want her to help with pictures and other refinements this weekend when she's in town. The other girls are welcome to add their expertises to any element that could improve the blog on this site.

My running has been non-existent the last several days. The weather has been a little uncooperative, but I just haven't been as determined as I should be. The leg is probably ok for the old man "shuffle" so I will get back out there this week, I hope.

When I did the "Pink Sheet" daily publication for my staff at the Korean air base in the early mid-70's, I would pull a daily saying from Bartlett's Book of Quotations. Not going to do that here, but the blog only becomes interesting if the discussion goes beyond the daily trivia of life and gets to thoughts and points worth pondering. I bet priests and ministers have books that they go to for pre-packaged homilies for all those Sundays in "ordinary time". (I doubt if the priests at St. John's have even heard of such things.) So readers here will have to put up with a little dose of country boy philosophy along with a healthy dose of sports commentary. So just for yucks, here's some isolated words of wisdom. You name the sport.
  1. Hang it in his ear!
  2. Bump and run. (multiple answers!)
  3. Tear drop.
  4. Splash and go.
  5. Green. White. Checkers.
Pretty easy. Add you're own!

Be careful out there.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahem, don't you mean add YOUR own? this is coming from the English teacher:)

Anonymous said...

Interestingly enough, that was the same comment I was going to make, Kate. Minus the "ahem," of course. Those are reserved for Mary's Hawkinson Institute supervisors.