Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Tuesday

Welcome to Tuesday, and the first day of Spring.

ND's bball season ended last night with another last second loss, this one to Michigan in the NIT. Not the ND was a great team this year, but they lost every close game, and not by bad coaching or stupidness, just bad carma and improbable shots. The last one was an off-balance, fall-away trey with two guys in his face with .5 seconds left in the second OT. I never saw the team give in, but I do think that they became somewhat resigned to the Fates always being on the other team this year.

Iowa State got the drop on Iowa today by getting the bball coach from UNI. He will win in Ames and will run a clean program.

I consolidated a couple of the piles on my floor this AM, and if I do the same chore tomorrow, I'll regain control. I just can't keep enough balls in the air anymore. I forget.

Enjoyed Kate's comment yesterday. We spent a lot of time in that Coralville McDonalds at Exit 242. Did you point out my favorite tree to the tagalongs?

I was in the car from 5:30 - 6:00 this evening coming back from a client meeting near Sterling and tuned into the NBC Nightly News which a local FM radio station broadcasts. Lots of talk today about the President's news conference and his comments on how long that troops may be in Iraq. I don't like where things stand anymore than most, and I do think that this administration cockily ignored hundreds of years of ethnic warfare/hatred in overestimating the ability of the US military to oversee the establishment of a modern democracy. The various sects don't want democracy. They want the other sects killed and the West incenerated. There's a story on the internet today about an Afgan Muslim who said he was a Christian convert and he is being tried in court for this offense. With the death penalty one of the possible outcomes. And we're going to change these people into butter-fly ballot voters?

Anyway, NBC ran a segment at the end of the newscast about whether the media promotes an anti-war, anti-Administration sentiment by primarily reporting on the deaths, bombings and other terrorists' activities. The Administration and The Right have a cross on their shoulder about this perceived bias. Duh. The media resents the insinuation that they have a bias. After all, they know about ethics. Its the politicians who have the agenda. If the media thinks they are balanced, they have a lot of one-way mirrors in their dressing rooms. But NBC felt that they needed to run something on the debate about media fairness, to show their fairness, I guess. So who but the open-minded (sic) hen Andrea Mitchell do they trot out to sneer her way through 45 seconds of border-line tripe.

Not that I have anything against good old (and I mean OLD) Andrea.

There. I feel better.

Good luck on stuff. Be careful out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i did in fact point out the favorite tree. was asked why it is the favorite tree. i said something about its perfect shape?

Anonymous said...

I watched that game, too, obviously rooting for the Irish. I read an article on ESPN.com about how Indiana told Alford they don't want him anymore, but he's going to Mizzou for an interview, so my fingers are crossed. I have no idea who would replace him, though. Word on the street is that Mr. Clark might be stepping up as girls head coach at PV.
Had a Sumatra today. It was very good.