Monday, March 27, 2006

Monday

Yucky day here today. Cold and rainy. Makes me wish that I had thrown down some grass seed on the part of my yard that I raked yesterday. But there will be another day soon for that task.

Mondays this time of the year are just awful at work. Many people have many requests. I'm glad that I don't have anymore individual tax clients than I do. Bill and Gary deal with higher volume and have even more people out looking for a quick turn-around on things right now.

In some respects, my tax consulting business is a little like Grandpa H's dairy farm. The cows provided a means of family support, but it wasn't the kind of work that any of us kids wanted to follow for a career. It was just too hard, dirty and unending. The professional tax business can be similarly described. I don't think I would encourage my kids to follow my path. But the business has been successful and has enabled our family to live a good life.

The investments business of Criterium does have an intellectual appeal that gets beyond some of the drudgery of tax compliance. There's a dark side. The stress remains, but the upside of Criterium is something beyond just getting a bunch of tax returns done on time.

I have also often compared the tax business to dentistry. For the most part, people really don't like to go to the dentist, but they do so because the alternatives aren't usually acceptable. Going to your tax preparer is almost the same thing. Again, if people could avoid their tax appointment, they would gladly do about anything else (except maybe go to the dentist). But those same people fear the IRS more than they do the preparer, so they swallow the bitter pill and come to me to take their lower dose of medicine as opposed to death by IRS.

Glad to hear from Charlie.

So, a busy week ahead for me. Entries this week may be brief. Visiting authors are welcome.

Be careful out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought i would comment because no one else has been. starting my third week of teaching. it goes so fast. i'll be on spring break next week and will probably pick up a buncho of hours babysitting and training. i have been leading our class for fifteen minutes of yoga in the morning. there is a reason for this, but one that would take too long to explain. i kind of think it's hilarious, but some of the kids seem to like it. they wanted to put me on the school's tv channel so everyone in the entire school could see me. i said i wasn't ready for my own workout video yet.
it has been warmer here; mid 40's, which is nice running weather. i did an easy 4 today. i'm still getting used to running in the afternoon and not the morning. if i wanted to get up even earlier than i do, i could get up around 5 and still have time to shower and get to school on time. some days that may be the only possibility. (other than taking the day off). i just had a girl friend from college call. she and i ran the twin cities marathon a few years ago. we're going to go on a 7 or 8 miler this weekend. i think i'm gonig to do a half with her later this spring. i've done it before and it's not a particularly enjoyable race. it's out in the middle of nowhere with lots of hills. but it's a reason to get out and run and it's a goal. i don't think there is a time goal.
matt got back from arizona and spring training on sunday evening. he had a good trip and stayed very busy. i am sad i couldn't go, but he wouldn't have gotten to do all the things he did if i had been there. it was definitely a boys trip.
i'm waiting for the snow on our deck to melt so we can grill out. it's warm enough, but the deck is still covered. we're having spaghetti tonight. and i think i may go have an adult beverage while i wait for matt to prepare it...have a great week everyone! p.s. i'll put my tax info in the mail this week ;)

Anonymous said...

if you can't figure it out, that last comment was from me:)