Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday

Tomorrow is a Federal holiday...President's Day.  Meaning that the markets, banks and most local government offices will be closed.  Schools too, eh?  Not so much so for CPA's this time of year.

I did catch the last few minutes of regulation and the overtimes of that US-Russia hockey game yesterday.  Kind of an unusual feature that in the shoot-out, they allow the same guy to take all the shots after the initial three.  That kid may end up being on the cover of a bunch of magazines., especially if the Americans can eventually win the gold medal.

I do remember the Miracle on Ice from 1980.  We were in Chicago and were at a party that night thrown by a friend from work at his apartment just north of the Loop area.  As not much of a hockey fan even then, it was still a memorable night.  Most people don't remember that that game wasn't the finals.  The USA had to come back and win another game for the gold.  Which they did against Finland (had to look up the final opponent!).  And I didn't t remember that those games were in Lake Placid, New York.

Interesting that the NBA made no effort to alter their All-Star weekend schedule to give room for the Olympics.  I'm wondering what the marginal analysis said about viewership this weekend versus eyeballs on a less-cluttered one.  Personally, I don't watch the NBA anyway.  And I didn't see the NASCAR race last night either.

The writing contest that I have entered in years past is next weekend.  They send an idea-prompt on Friday at 5PM, and your submission has to be emailed in by 5PM on Saturday.  I registered for the "fiction" element.  They have a non-fiction option and a separate category for poetry.  I'm guessing that some people with more serious aspirations have already got their stories done, and will just tweak them as necessary after they get the prompt.  I be wingin" it.

(The EJ and Maddie Not-So-Short Short Story that took a year to complete, was the result of missing the writing contest last year.)

I made a half-hearted attempt to go through some pictures this afternoon that are stacked in my living room entertainment console.  These are all that mostly go back no further than 2002.  Lots of repeats of four girls together, parking lots good-byes, Iowa games, Tahoe, and life on Maplecrest.  I was not inspired to do any albums or anything, but I might do four separate collections of me with each daughter through the years.

This one is a popular one in the family.  Albia, Iowa...20 years ago?  Skip and Sue's wedding. Grandma was still alive.  RevKev didn't get outta Des Moines for a week.  4 and the local cats.

Gonna be a big week.  Pitchers and catchers report.  The twin duals are Thursday in Daytona.  Big Monday has the 'Clones hosting the 'Horns. 

And a whole lotta paperwork/tax returns need to flow out of my office.  So that I can be good-to-go to Florida on Monday the 24th.

Hope its a Good Monday in your neighborhood.

BCOT


No comments: