Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday - Part II

This is a short effort coming to you from the skies over the Sunshine State. The BlogPress app allows me to store an entry for later publishing. We'll see if I can do this without losing the content.

I thought I would add a little background from the story that I posted Saturday for the writing contest. As has been the case in most prior years, I tend to miss making any progress on the Friday night part of the 24-hour time limit. This year, 2 and I managed to contribute to the Biaggi's bottom line again, and I didn't even check my email to get the prompt until an early Saturday morning bathroom visit.

I thought the prompt was a little cheesy and would likely produce a lot of similar Revenge of the Nerds entries. I had no immediate ideas. At 1st Coffee, I started to run through some story lines of "long shot" characters. Computer gamers. Architects. Sports.

I elected the "stock pickers" theme because I could use some of my industry knowledge, and those "American Pickers" are local boys from LeClaire. The progress of the story just was like what I have done with other small pieces that I've written. I get a few bullet points, fill in some sidebars, and get to an ending.

It was due at 5PM, and I was done and ready for review about 4:45. I was close to the word limit (2,000) and I got nervous with the small revisions that I had come up with which put me right there. And I was nervous about whether the Word document would get through as an attachment. I made a final edit, and sent it in at 4:59.

There's no significance to the names. I tossed in "Directional U" as a tongue-in-cheek reference to our interest in sports teams. The "L train" and the Brooklyn location for the apartments were shout-outs to 4. And the Starbuck's scene has a lot of family connectivity. I figured 3 and 3.1 would be able to interpret the trading. Flash Pan was just my dark humor coming through.

That's it for now. Made it to Florida...flew into Melbourne. A little late out of MLI, but we made our connection in ATL, and had an on-time arrival down here.

More tomorrow.

BCOT


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: