Sunday, January 05, 2014

Sunday

More snow.  More cold.  And getting colder.

This is the time of year where I get to put up a new calendar in my downstairs bathroom, rotate last year's calendar to the Memory wall, and flip all of the previous calendars back to their January pages.  I went with another NASCAR motif this year.  Junior being the featured driver for January 2014.

I flip the months on all of the calendars on the first day of each month so as to compare my current travel, exercise and other activities to what I was doing on the same dates in all of those prior years.  I started the Memory Wall 10 years ago and it tells a lot of stories.  (Keep in mind, my handwriting, and the abbreviations that I use, make deciphering my notations a bit of a science.  Good luck to those who may at a point in the future try to reconstruct my life's path from these tidbits.)

I'm not saying that my basement is a man-cave, but it does have some of those characteristics...TV, exercise equipment, couch...and the huge collage of collectibles.  Like cavemen of old, eh?  Probably needs a wet-bar and a refrigerator to actually make the grade.

Let's go ahead and put 'er in the books:  Tahoe 2014 will begin in San Francisco on July 25th.  The SF Marathon is Sunday the 27th, and the plan is to drive up to the lake after the race that Sunday afternoon.  The Lt. will return to Iowa the following Saturday August 2nd.  The Harvest Path family will be staying until Tuesday August 5th. 

OK.  I'm going to throw out here to the Peanut Gallery my goals for 2014.  I'm going to call it The Year of the Story.

1.  Finish the travel book on Italy/Sicily with 2.
2,  Finish the long-ish book on Daddy and the farm.
3.  Finish my blog story from last year on EJ McKay and Maddie O'Rourke.
4.  Finish a travel book with 4 on our 2011 trip to Spain/France.
5.  Finish a fictional golf story on my pal Roy that I started years ago.
6.  225 entries to the blog.
7.  Get my golf handicap down to 11.  That's five strokes from now.
8.  Four days of cycling at Tahoe.  Mt. Rose (short side).  TOMRV.
9.  Day trip to a Cubs' game in C-town.
10. Break an hour (not my head!) in the Turkey Trot.

If I can get all that done in 2014, it will be a great year.  In addition, there are trips to NYC, KC, San Antonio and Scottsdale already planned.  It should be another year of 60 nights away from Maplecrest.

All for today.  Thanks for reading.  Make it a good week in your neighborhood.

BCOT

No comments: