Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday - Not-so-short-Short-Story

Setting:  This entry picks up from where I left off on January12, 2014.  My protagonist, EJ McKay, has just returned to the Hampton Inn in Tomah, Wisconsin after his meeting at Badger Ag.  Maddie O'Rourke has greeted him from a table in the lobby breakfast area.

========================================================================

EJ walked over to Maddie's table and sat in the chair opposite her.  Maddie poured him a glass from the Silver Oak bottle, and they did an understated toast, lightly touching glasses before taking a drink.

"Why do I feel like I've been a puppet on a string today?" asked EJ.  "Why are you here?  How did you know I would be coming back just now?"

"And good evening to you too", said Maddie.  "This 2007 vintage is a nice bottle, don't you think?  I actually have a case of the 2003 in Chicago that I keep saying I need to find the right occasion to open.  Do you have a favorite bottle?"

EJ took a second drink, enjoying the complex flavors as it went down.  "Yeah.  Good stuff.  It certainly beats that open-bottle of Rodney Strong sitting up in my room.  So, really.  What's the deal here?  I don't like being played."

Maddie also took a drink from her glass.  "Well, let's just say that you've given me an opportunity to take care of that tool Karl Mandel once and for all.  Do you believe that guy?  He's made millions since Daddy sold that factory to the Madel's in '88.  All Karl ever had to do was fill the orders that came with those long-term contracts we gave him.  It was a layup.  He couldn't stand the prosperity."

"OK.  I get that part of it.  It didn't take me that long to figure out that Madel was a low-life", said EJ.  "But when did I become your answer to his shenanigans?"

"Fair question", said Maddie.  "First, you need to know that Rhonda Reynolds' younger sister Eleanor...we called her Ellie...was in my class at Tomah High School.  We were on the cross country team together.  You know, I seem to remember going to a meet down in Cedar Rapids one year.  Kind of a hilly course as I recall.  But whatever.  Ellie and I've stayed in touch over the years.  She and a couple of her friends do a girls' weekend at Christmas time in Chicago each year, and I usually meet her for coffee one of the days she's in town."

EJ poured each of them a little more wine.

"Last year she said that Rhonda thought that I should know that Karl Madel was looking at a business deal that would require a change in the lease with the foundation.  Rhonda is really a nice person and she's never been overly fond of the Mandel's.  I think Karl's dad tried to put a move on her when he bought the place from Daddy.  She was just a part-time receptionist at the time, but she needed the job and didn't say anything to anyone.  And she's been a loyal assistant to Karl over the years.  But this latest move really bothered her.  So we've talked on the hush-hush several times in the last few months as Karl kept pushing the plans for reorganizing the business."

"She told me last week that you were going to be in town today.  I couldn't figure out for sure at first why they went outside their circle for another consultant, but after looking at your history and connections, it became easily apparent why they made the call."

"What do you mean, "After looking at my history"?, said EJ a bit indignantly. 

Maddie smiled.  "Well, yes, I did have my people at the Foundation's office in Highland Park do some checking.  We do that sort of thing on grant applicants all of the time.  Its not like its illegal or anything."  She continued to show a Cheshire grin. "We're a little sensitive, eh?"

More wine for each.  The bottle was now empty.

Before EJ could think of a good response, Maddie continued.  "Rhonda let me know Monday that you would be staying here at the Hampton...where I always stay too...there not being that many options in Tomah  I arranged to come down a couple of days earlier than normal to visit Mother.  And as you are a predictable sort, I figured that I would meet you at the fitness room or at Caribou this morning."

"That work you did for Ottumwa Distribution Systems (ODS) corporation last year was very creative.  Getting the state to consent to that relocation plan was quite the accomplishment.  No wonder Mandel wanted you in on this deal."

"Well, that was a lot different than what's on the table here", said EJ.  "ODS wasn't trying to slide something past City Hall.  The owners had a true need to get more space, and that tract South of town was the perfect spot.  It had been in a bitter bankruptcy fight between divorcing spouses for three years.  I had done some expert testimony work for the wife, and she was just ready to be done.  We sweetened the pot by $50K and everything just fell into place."

Maddie responded, "From what I read, you're leaving out some of the important factors that no one else was able to resolve.  Like the release of the lien by the adjacent property owner and the compromise on that easement conflict with the pipeline company.  Didn't you have to negotiate with Berkshire Hathaway on that one?  If you can make a deal with Warren Buffet, your street cred is legit."

Maddie stood, finished her glass of wine and said, "Come on.  Its time for dinner. I'll drive."  EJ also rose out of his chair, downed the last of his wine and said, "No,  my male ego needs some traction.  Let me drive.  You navigate.  But please just don't tell me where you learned of my preference for an Italian menu."

Dinner at Ristorante Luigi's

The drive to Luigi's took only a few minutes.  Maddie did most of the talking on the way over.  She had spent most of the day sitting with her Mother at Rolling Hills Senior Living Center.  Maddie was not unhappy with the care that her Mother received at Rolling Hills, but she wished that there was more that she could do.  The recounting of her day with Mother as they made the drive was a bit therapeutic for Maddie, thought EJ.  Then again, it could have just been the wine.  Regardless, as they entered the restaurant, EJ felt that there was an ease in their conversation that made the inconvenience of the drive, the delays, and the forgettable meeting with Karl Mandel all of small consequence.

There were greeted inside at the hostess station by a pleasant young girl named Giana who quickly showed them to a booth toward the rear of the main dining room.  Their waiter, named Tony (of course), appeared with menus and the wine list.  EJ ordered a bottle of Barbera d'Asti from the Coppo winery in Italy's Piedmonte region.  (On a post-script basis, the wine was a home run.)

After Tony poured the wine and took their dinner orders, EJ asked Maddie, "I still feel like there's another shoe to drop.  What gives?"

"Well, yes.  I do have some things to discuss with you', said Maddie.  "The fact that you declined to work with Karl Madel was the confirmation that I needed to take the conversation to another level with you.  When Rhonda texted me that you were not going with the group to the club for dinner, I decided to get downstairs at the Hampton to see if I could catch you before you went to your room.  I was worried that you might even check out and go home."

"Do they stock Silver Oak at the Hampton for you?, EJ asked sarcastically.

"Very funny", replied Maddie.  "I had packed that bottle yesterday, knowing that I might need a little something after my time with Mother.  You were not scheduled for that part of my equation.  But this has been really nice, and I'm glad that I was able to snag you before you headed South."

"Other than the fact that you've done your little background check on me, I'm glad too.  Thanks," said EJ.  "Now.  Spill the beans."

Maddie took a drink of the Barbera.  "Hmmmm.  Now that's a nice wine. Excellent choice, sir.  You have good skill sets!

"Okay", she went on.  "Here's the deal.  The O'Rourke Foundation wants to engage you for assistance in developing a new long-range plan.  I've been interviewing consultants for the last six months and I've found exactly zero experts who have the vision that I need to get some energy back into our organization.  You're qualified.  You don't have any kind of a political agenda with us, and I think that you and I have personalities that can work together."

"Is this at all related to Madel's interest in walking away from the lease with the Foundation?" asked EJ.  "I mean, that has to impact the finances of the Foundation if he's successful in making that change."

Maddie broke out into a full laugh.  "Karl's an idiot if he thinks that he can change the lease!  That was never even remotely a concern.  Whatever he's paying his lawyer's on that analysis is a joke.  Daddy had that lease drawn up with absolutely no wiggle room for Badger Ag.  And the Mayor and the Governor are politicians who know that Karl's money is no match for votes.  They're just doing what politicians do...stirring the pot.  There's no risk to the Foundation.  If Karl tries to ignore the legalities, he'll void the original purchase contract.  Ultimately, he'll do what he's supposed to do, and Badger Ag will continue to make good money.  Its not that complicated."

"So you knew what he was trying to do with the lease all along?

"Of course!", said Maddie.  "Like I said, Rhonda is a good person."

Dinner came and the conversation shifted while they ate (Maddie a Cobb salad and EJ a seafood pasta) to dining experiences at favorite Italian restaurants.  Maddie mentioned several places in the Windy City, a couple of which EJ had also frequented in his past.  Both had also spent time in the Italian district in the North End in Boston, with Lemoncello's an intersection point.  It was an easy conversation.

After they finished their meals and Tony had cleared the dishes, Maddie said, "I think there is an offer on the table.  What are your thoughts?"

"I'm flattered", said EJ.  "But I'm not certain of the fit.  I've served on not-for-profit Boards before, and we've actually run some money for a couple of private Foundations associated with the University down in Iowa City.  This would be different."

"It absolutely would be different", said Maddie.  "And I can see how you would be cautious of stepping into an arrangement without having done your own due diligence on the lay of the land.  Tell you what.  Let's do a first step that's right in your wheelhouse.  We have one money manager who has underperformed the last two years and has already been given notice that we will not be renewing his contract next month.  As Executive Director and sole Trustee of the Foundation, I have the authority to appoint a successor manager...and I choose you!  Like I said, we've already done some checking on you, and your accounts at those Iowa Foundations...yes, I already knew about those from the public records at the IRS...those results have been outstanding!"

"That account is sitting at a little over $15 million as of this morning.  We allow managers a 50 basis points management fee, plus a participation in above market results.  Its an attractive contract.  What do you say?"

EJ was speechless.  He had come to Tomah thinking that there might be a nice fee-for-services engagement with Badger Ag.  Finding a major money management account while on the trip wasn't even on his radar screen.  "Tell you what, Ms. O'Rourke", said EJ with his own impish grin,  "I'll think about it."

They settled the check with Tony (Maddie insisted that she pay...and EJ left a generous tip), and made their way back to the Hampton Inn.  EJ wasn't quite sure of the good-night protocol for their non-date evening and was gratified when Maddie took the initiative and reached over for a "friend hug" as she exited the elevator for her second-floor room.  "Coffee in the morning before you leave?", she asked with a turn.  "And maybe an answer?"

"Coffee for sure", replied EJ with a smile.  "See you at 0700," purposely avoiding a response to the second question.  He was already looking forward to more time with Madeline Marie O'Rourke.

=======================================================================

That's a wrap on EJ and Maddie.

Y'all...

BCOT

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Excuse me? There's a lot of unfinished business here, Mister. It ain't over 'til I say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?