Monday, January 06, 2014

Monday

I've always remembered January 6th as The Feast of The Epiphany.  This is a personal hard-drive synapse reflex that goes back to  St. Pat's grade school religion class.  (As though any class at St. Pat's wasn't a religion class in some part.)  Hail to the new King!

My pal Roy's brother John is also a birthday boy today.  John and I aren't necessary best-buds, but we are friends and I have always called him the Fourth King.  The January golf excursion years ago was often eight guys and John and I were both always celebrated by the other guys during those trips.  Live long and prosper, friend.

I see on my new NASCAR calendar that this date is noted as "Three Kings Day" in Mexico.  Random fact.  No cost to you.

And the term "epiphany" is commonly used in contemporary literature when an author is describing his/her own new-found philosophical recognition/realization/understanding of a situation or set of facts.  For a guy with Sometimer's, I have several epiphanies each day.

BCS title game tonight.  Could care less.  Bring on a Thursday crossword and DirecTV channel 809 (Hit Country.  Not "new" country.  Hit Country.  There is a difference.)  Or maybe a brief visit to Tomah.

1 gets the last brownie today.  Her -22 beats my -15.  I seriously can't remember anything in the last 20+ years with this kind of cold.  There were cold times, for sure, including once when we had frozen water pipes in the upstairs bathroom in the Scott Street house.  (Congrats to the builder who put water lines along the West-facing outside wall.)  But I always think back to those early days on the farm when we had to work with cattle in this kind of weather.  No choice but to deal with it.  No such thing as a wave-off for rain/cold days for a dairy farmer.

Hope it is a Good Monday for all.

BCOT


No comments: