Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday

So the venture to Fargo was a success.  1 did a great job, finishing in around 3:50 on an uninspiring course, with way too much heat and humidity coming into the equation that last hour or so.  1.1 is on the DL and was the pilot to my navigator in the Team Katie support crew.

I had never been to Fargo before...and I'm not rushing to schedule myself for a return visit.  The Home Page pic was taken Friday afternoon as I was getting into town.  Flat!  Flat!!  Flat!!!  No wonder the Red River floods the area.  There's nothing to hold it back.

Fargo is the home to North Dakota State University.  (Didn't my sister Margaret spend a year there?)  The marathon actually ended inside the Fargo Dome, which is the indoor football stadium for the college.  Nice place.  This is a shot from one end looking toward the other end as we were leaving yesterday.  I'm bettin' George Strait would knock 'em dead in the Fargo Dome.

I am giving 1 the nod as Daughter of the Day for her marathon efforts.  This is shot of the happy couple at the end of dinner last night at The Beef Steak Club in downtown Fargo.  Not a bad place.  They actually had a wine list!  (1.1 shares the photo for his work in getting me back and forth and everywhere in between over the weekend.)

Travel worked out okay for the trip, although there was one hitch in the coming-home giddy-up.  When I had tried to check-in last night for this morning's return flight, the computer rejected me and said that I needed to check-in at the airport.  So 1.1 got me there plenty early today, and there was no line at the counter.  When I told the agent my problem, her response was a casual, "Yeah, you're on a waiting list."

I was more taken aback than angry, although the agent urged me to "Calm down, sir," so I must have shown just a little irritation.  Long story short, they had over-sold the flight and just randomly took my confirmed seat away.  But because I was early, the agent randomly took the seat away from someone else who hadn't yet reported!  What a great way to run a railroad!!

Ultimately, the same counter agent became the gate agent and had to do the old, "Anyone for a flight voucher?" game.  There was a taker at $500.

I wasn't really prepared for the heat that was waiting for me on Maplecrest.  I'm thinking that it was close to 90 this afternoon.  And the forecast has it in the high 80's the next couple of days.  So I reluctantly hit the AC "on" switch for the first time of the year.  Kinda early for my liking.  What happened to Spring?

Sounds like 2 has had a successful trip to NYC. And @srh4 managed to supervise 1.01 and 1.02 for those two days on Harvest Path.  I guess you could say that the fam was on the move this weekend!  And I have The Winniferous for the evening!

All for tonight.  Make it a good week.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT

No comments: