Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday

I had the best of intentions of getting a post up yesterday, and my afternoon just didn't turn out to be very productive.  I still have the goal of getting four entries per week.  This week will be better. 

So ND made a good statement last night.  I really expected the Sooners to use home field and take it to the Irish.  Ultimately, OU made a few too many mistakes, and the ND defense is the real deal.  Which means tickets for the remaining games will not be available at list price anywhere. 

Hat tip to the Clones for their win last night against Baylor.

2 and I watched the first half together on her new big screen.  Very nice.  We were civil adversaries.  We chose the fam's standard wine currency for our libation.

Sounds like Sandy is making waves for the fam in The Big Apple.  If they are shutting down all of the mass transit options, how do folks, 4 in particular, get to work from Brooklyn?  The overnight news show must go on (at Fox News).

There's been two recent moves in the constituency of the local accounting firm community that illustrate just how long-in-the-tooth I have become.  A two-man firm on the Illinois side that I have work with since the mid '80's has split so that the one older guy (but younger than me!) I know best could merge his book with another multi-partner local firm in anticipation of his eventual exit.

Now flying the USAF colors on Maplecrest.

Then in the paper this AM, there was an announcement about a small bookkeeping operation in Davenport (that has sent several good clients over to me) merging into another multi-partner CPA practice on the Iowa side.  The gal who owned the bookkeeping business always did a nice job on payroll and monthly write-up work, and never tried to get out of her element.  I usually got a call when one of her clients wanted to explore a little more tax-complicated investment or business opportunity.  Her husband has been mostly retired for several years, I think.  Again, an exit strategy move that will probably get her a few dollars, and a relatively neat path out the door.  Hmmm.

Interesting that The Des Moines Register has endorsed Romney.  Not sure what that means.  But The Register is still a paper of some influence in Corn Country.  I think that The O may have sealed that deal when he tried to exert some muscle and limit the paper's use of their editorial board's interview with him.  The old axiom of "don't fight people who buy ink by the barrel" may not exactly apply in the Digital Age, but there's something like that in play in this situation.  It seems like there are a few more brave souls in the collective media who are taking in less of the koolade.

My comment here last week about the Iowa High School Athletic Association being too Kuum-bayah-ish for me was more than on-target.  A subsequent chat with my pal Ron yesterday confirmed a fact that I initially took to be a mis-print...but was not.  A team with a 1-8 record made the big-school play-offs in western Iowa.  Yeah, we qualified for the state tournament.

OK.  I've got some outside work to do.  Maybe more here later.

BCOT

No comments: