Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Wednesday...UPDATED

I'm declaring our drought as over.  We had a another pretty good, sustained shower early this AM.  When you combine that with the soaker that we had a week ago, I think that we're past the dry season.  I'll have to mow my yard again.  Now that has to be proof of rain in our world.

I've found another place to lose my keys.  The other night when we spent the evening on the lawn chairs on my driveway, I had set the car keys aside (but obviously not inside, as I would later learn) after I had moved the Buick into the garage to create seating space.  The evening got long, wine was consumed (shock!), and I had The W to look after as well.  Once company left and I put the chairs away and shuttled the BBQ to the side, I thought I had gathered all my stuff (including The W) for inside.

The next morning when I was leaving for golf at Geneva, I couldn't find my primary set of Buick keys.  I knew that they had to be at my house because I had used them to move the car the night before, and I hadn't left the ranch since then.  Under a time watch, I had to use my back-up set to get going and meet my pal Ron.  The mis-placement really bugged me, but I had to defer the search until later in the day.

When I got back in the early afternoon, and after a walk with The W (when I tried to retrace my prior evening's steps), I looked again inside, and then on the driveway, the BBQ and the Beater (where I knew I had set the keys with the iPad before guests arrived).  Finally, my Holmes-detection-synapses kicked in, and I opened the garage and went straight to the collapse-able, cloth lawn chairs.  The keys were in the cup-holder of one of the chairs.  Of course they were.

I have no plans to watch either the opening game of the NFL season tonight, nor Day 2 of the media love-fest in Charlotte.  I mean, on the one hand, you have a bunch of Bubba's on the gridiron (many of questionable character) looking to punch each other's lights out.  Like I'd walk across the street to see those guys.  Right.  And on the other hand, you have another Bubba, lionized by his party as this year's Savior, who has elevated lying to an art-form; "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."  The Maplecrest driveway, wine and the Wednesday crossword sound like a great combo alternative.

I see in the paper this AM that NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft, launched 35 years ago today is still out there sending back data.  Hey, most people retire after 35 years!  Now this would have been 8 years after we first put a man on the moon, so there were some skills among the engineers in the program.  The remarkable thing is that the on-board computers have way less memory than an iPod Nano...and they use an eight-track tape recorder.  Suite.  Still amazing what the scientists of that era accomplished with the fraction of technology that exists today.  They truly were on the cusp of a New Frontier.

Hope the Peanut Gallery enjoys Wednesday.  And that 4 gets a good start to her work-week.  Thanks for reading.

UPDATE...Speaking of depressing news.  Check out this survey from Pew Research on the knowledge of our voting public.  And these are the folks who get to elect the President?  No wonder the Big O is going after the college students and the clueless. http://www.people-press.org/2012/08/10/what-voters-know-about-campaign-2012/

BCOT.

No comments: