Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday

I had hoped to get an entry done last night after my return from Woodbury, but obviously, I failed.  Mostly, I had to listen to the last tape of the book-on-tape from the trip, and that took almost an hour.  (I'm still trying to decide if the book was decent or not.)  I've favored the longer books on my recent trips.  Usually, that means 12-14 disks, and that total is almost always an hour more than the driving-time.  Then there was laundry...and an early-to-bed choice.

Here's a pic from yesterday morning, just as I was leaving to head South.  Let's make 1.01 and 1.02 Grandkids of the Day!  Really enjoyed my visit.  The highlight for me was Saturday morning when 1.01 and I spent a couple of hours away from Mom and Dad, going to the coffee shop, the library and the park.  Little girls grow up, eh?

I found it interesting that the home-building in 1 and 1.1's area looks like it is in full swing.  Not only were several homes and multi-family structures in various stages of completion, but a whole new tract with streets measured and partially paved has been plotted out with room for maybe 500 more new homes.  At least in Woodbury, I'd say that they are past the real estate bubble.

At the end of my walk on Saturday afternoon (when the kids were in naps), I decided to go through an Open House at one of the model homes near the park where 1.01 plays.  The home had a middle-of-the-road appearance from the sidewalk.  It had five bedrooms, four and a half baths, and probably 4000+ square feet of living space (including a finished basement).   The garage footprint was as big as my house.  The house was very nicely, but not opulently appointed.  They really weren't selling the model, so there wasn't a price listed, but at my estimate of $150 per square foot to build, the price would have to have been in the $650K range. 

I know interest rates are low, but an 80% mortgage is over a half million dollars!  And where do you get the $100K+ as the down-stroke?  I worry about people getting that far in debt.  The 2008 problems were brought on by the thought that such prices could only go up.  My thought?  There is an "up" limit.

Lots of stories out of sports this weekend.  Is there a loss story more significant than the Arkansas one against Louisiana Monroe?  This is the follow-up to the tabloid-demise of Coach Bobby Petrino last Spring.  Coming out of last season, the Razorbacks considered themselves a contender for the National title, thinking that they had the talent to compete with the likes of Alabama and LSU.  And now?  Is any team or institution immune to a fall when the person running at the point position is revealed as a faux-leader?

ND escapes Purdue.  But doesn't cover.  I had that bet weeks ago.  You can look it up.

Chicago school teachers are on strike this AM.  Isn't this another example of money not being the solution?  How can you get improved results out of a student population that is largely comprised of kids from all the problem sectors in our social order?
RevKev has added a new entry to his blog, with the promise that he will be back on a regular basis.  Hmmm.  He links to a nice article in the campus newspaper about himself and his new job .

My Favorite Tree from the Buick yesterday afternoon.  I never get tired of catching this look.

More later.

Good luck to Monday for all.

BCOT




No comments: