Sunday, January 01, 2012

Sunday

Happy New Year to all. 

Mother Nature is trying to blow Iowa off the map today.  Strong sustained winds, and gusts that must be up to 45 or 50 mph.  We were over 50 degrees here yesterday, but won't be out of the 30's today, and the 20's tomorrow.  We've dodged Winter so far, so cooler temps have to be coming.

I had an unusually late New Year's Eve, but very tame.  There may have been too much vino consumed earlier in the week.  I'm now trying to convince myself that today is Sunday.

Here's a Top Ten list of my 2011 highlights:

1.  The arrival of 1.02 on 12/20.
2.  Europe in August with 4.  The Tourmalet ascent.
3.  A home run at the Turkey Trot.
4.  The Big Apple with 3 and Herky in October.
5.  Charleston with @bcbison in June.
6.  Other trips to Scottsdale, San Antonio, and Tahoe.
7.  Augie's nice run in the DIII basketball tourney.
8.  Wine nights on Maplecrest and at Biaggi's.
9.  Early morning Summer bike rides with @bcbison.  And DeWitt too.
10.Exercise and training with The Winniferous.

I consider 2011 to have been a very successful year on a personal and family basis, but only so-so at the office.  My big push in 2012 will be to rejuvenate things at work, while continuing the string of enjoyable years at home. 

It's a bit interesting to recognize that the excitement in the family with the arrival last month of 1.02 has been a deterrent to blogging.  Part of that is just due to the natural distraction that such a family-altering event creates.  Plus, who wants to read what's wandering through my Sometimer's mind, when there's actually interesting things going on in Woodbury?

This entry is being made from my desktop.  I had planned to post it from home, but the laptop was dead when I opened it up.  I'm hoping that it's just a case of me having left the machine "on" when I last put it away, and that it drained the battery.   I've left it plugged in this afternoon.  If that doesn't do the trick, the on-going saga of our "upgrade" takes on another black eye.  Hmmm.

And there's another sorry tale for my latest mini-digi camera that I purchased right before Christmas.  Seems as though my water-resistant camera somehow got wet, and it's basically shot.  The boss wasn't in the store on Saturday when I went in to take it back, and the tool-of-a-clerk's idea of service was to send it back to China on a warranty return.  If there's not a better response from the boss on his return, my commitment to the locally-owned store will be toast.

I'd say that the Hawks, 'Clones and Irish all ended their season's appropriately.  Talk about mediocre.  I watched only short pieces of these games.  And none of any of the other games.

And what's with no college bowl games on January1st?  Have they always yielded to the pros when January 1st is on a Sunday?

Here's another example of change in the consumer market place.  Santa gave me a new, cotton dress shirt for Christmas.  When I pulled it out of the package and unfolded it, I was mildly surprised to find no straight pins in the set-up from the manufacturer.  Years ago, they would have as many as five or six pins per shirt (at the collar, cuffs and on a couple of the front buttons).  Now they use specially shaped, clear plastic inserts and light cardboard.  I suppose it saves a few bucks, and it certainly doesn't hurt the presentation of the shirt.  Progress, I guess.  (Land's End does still provide a small package of extra buttons with the shirt.)

Finally, while the office is closed tomorrow, I'll be in to re-format my own office to get rid of some of the piles.  Spring-cleaning in January.  I really want to get the year off on the right foot.

If the laptop has any juice this evening, I'll jump back on and add a couple of pics to this post.  Otherwise, look for more wisdom here tomorrow.

BCOT

No comments: